St George's Centre
St George's Centre was a former school, and now a community information and activity centre on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. The centre is situated in the area of Reforne, within the village of Easton. It is found close to the Grade I listed St George's Church. St George's Centre has been a Grade II Listed Building since September 1978. At this same time, the centre's community hall, formerly the school assembly hall, also became Grade II listed. The hall was built c. 1880.
Built as a school, which opened in 1857, the building was constructed by Hansford and Waight at a cost of £775. The school served the Tophill community, while St John's School served Underhill. The school closed in 196, leaving the building to suffer from years of neglect. In 1981, the Island of Portland Heritage Trust was formed, and began fundraising to purchase the building from the Crown Estate Commissioners. The trust were successful, and transformed the building into a Community and Craft Centre by 1984.
The project had created over 50 jobs for the unemployed, while the trust, in conjunction with the West Country Tourist Board, opened Portland's first Tourist Information Centre there. The trust continues to own the building, and the charity relies largely on hall hire and workshop fees to cover the maintenance and overheads. The activity and information centre today provides facilities for a whole range of local activities, including arts and crafts, bingo, the Royal Manor Workshops, a play school and a dance group. The complex is used extensively by many local organisations. The building's halls consist of the Peter Trim Community Hall, Girt Hall and the Skylark Studio.
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1203114)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 26 May 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1206092)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 28 September 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- http://www.stgeorgesreforne.co.uk/ On the "Home" page
- http://www.stgeorgesreforne.co.uk/ On the "About Us" page
- "Auctioneers help to raise cash for Portland Heritage Trust (From Dorset Echo)". Dorsetecho.co.uk. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- http://www.stgeorgesreforne.co.uk/ On the "Halls and Rates" page
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.