St Stephen's Church, Bournemouth
|St Stephen's Church, Bournemouth|
|Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Website||Official website of St Stephen's|
|Parish||St Peter with St Stephen|
|Vicar(s)||Rev. Robin C N Harger|
|Organist(s)||Ian F Harrison|
St Stephen's Church is an Anglican church in Bournemouth, Dorset (formerly in Hampshire). The liturgical life of the Church was rooted in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. The Church has a magnificent Lady Chapel, once celebrating Marian masses, benediction and recitation of the Rosary for the Society of Mary. Devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham was also encouraged.
Designed by architect John Loughborough Pearson, the church was built in stages between 1881 and 1898, as a memorial to Alexander Morden Bennett, first vicar of St Peter's Church, Bournemouth. A spire was never added to the tower.
Legend has it that Pearson's aim when he designed St. Stephen's church was to create a building "which brought people to their knees."
It is a grade I listed building.
- 1881 - 1911 Fr Alexander Sykes Bennett
- 1911 - 1928 Fr George Philip Trevelyan
- 1928 - 1944 Fr Philip Harold Rogers
- 1944 - 1952 Fr Geoffrey Heald
- 1952 - 1958 Fr Francis John Michael Dean
- 1958 - 1962 Fr Charles Edward Burnett Neate
- 1962 - 1970 Fr George Percy Wilkins
- 1970 - 1973 Fr Anthony Douglas Caesar
- 1974 - 1983 Fr John David Corbett
- 1983 - 1987 Fr John Catlin
- 1987 - 1994 Fr Paul Hastrop
- 1994 - 2012 Fr Robin Harger
Aside from its architectural design, St. Stephen's church is also known for its music and songs, as performed by the church's choir. Each summer, the choir renders a classical series of music by Mozart, Haydn and Schubert.
The church has an organ by William Hill dating from 1898. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register. There is also a small 5 stop chamber organ dating from 1870. The specification of the chamber organ can also be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.
List of organists
- 1881 - 1893 T.J.Baker
- 1894 - 1930 Henry Holloway, D.Mus. FRCO
- 1930 - 1935 Percy Whitlock
- 1936 - 1966 Cyril Knight, FRCO,FLCM
- 1967 - 1975 Spencer Fackerell
- 1976 Roger Hill
- 1976 - 1982 Cyril Knight
- 1982 - 1988 Ian Harrison, BA, FRCO, FTCL
- 1988 - 1994 Anthony Wood, ARCO
- 1994 - Ian Harrison
Views from the Eye (7) - St Stephen's Church - geograph.org.uk - 1505447.jpg
Viewed from the Bournemouth Eye
St Stephens Bournemouth reredos.JPG
Behind the altar
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.|Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.]].|
- "Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN List entry Number: 1324756". English heritage. Retrieved 25 July 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>