States and regions of Somalia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Somalia is officially divided into eighteen administrative regions (gobollada, singular gobol), which in turn are subdivided into districts. On a de facto basis, northern Somalia is divided among the autonomous states of Puntland and Somaliland. In central Somalia, Galmudug is another regional administration that emerged just south of Puntland. Jubaland in the far south is a fourth autonomous region within the federation. In November 2014, a new South West State was likewise established. In April 2015, a formation conference was also launched for a new Central Regions State.
The Federal Parliament is tasked with selecting the ultimate number and boundaries of the autonomous regional states (officially, Federal Member States) within the Federal Republic of Somalia. To this end, the legislature in December 2014 passed a law establishing the Boundary and Federalization Commission. The body is mandated with determining the boundaries of the country's constituent Federal Member States, as well as arbitrating between these regional states on their respective jurisdiction.
- "Somalia". World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- "SOMALIA: South-west state endorses a new constitution". Raxanreeb. 8 November 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Adado conference kicks off in entral Somalia". Garowe Online. 16 April 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "The Federal Republic of Somalia - Harmonized Draft Constitution" (PDF). Federal Government of Somalia. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Guidebook to the Somali Draft Provisional Constitution". Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Somali parliament endorses the bill of boundaries and federalism". Goobjoog. 21 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Cabinet approves Bills for National Electoral Commission, Boundary and Federalization Commission and a $216 M budget for 2015". Goobjoog. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
|This Somalia location article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|