Stephen O. Murray (born 1950), is a sociologist, anthropologist, and independent scholar based in San Francisco, California. A member of the second class at James Madison College within Michigan State University, he had an undergraduate double major in social psychology and in Justice, Morality, and Constitutional Democracy. He earned his M.A. degree from the University of Arizona in sociology in 1975, and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto, also in sociology (1979) and undertook post-doctoral training in anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley (1980-1982). His work has included studies in sociolinguistics, and the history of social sciences (anthropology, sociology, linguistics), and extensive publications on the historical and cross-cultural social organizations of homosexuality. His main areas of fieldwork have been the North America United States Mexico, Canada, Taiwan and Mexico, though he co-edited books on homosexualities in sub-Saharan Africa and across the Islamic world with Will Roscoe.
With Regna Darnell, he co-edits the monographic series "Critical Studies in the History of Anthropology" for the University of Nebraska Press. He worked for more than a decade in public health with California county health departments and has also written on public health issues, particularly in regard to HIV/AIDS.
He has positions on the editorial boards of several social science journals including the Journal of Homosexuality and the Histories of Anthropology Annual, and is a contributor to the online encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer culture, GLBTQ and other reference volumes. He also writes regularly at epinions.com and associatedcontent.com.
- Murray, Stephen O (1995), Latin American Male Homosexualities, University of New Mexico Press, ISBN 978-0-8263-1658-5
- Murray, Stephen O (1996), American gay, University of Chicago Press, ISBN 978-0-226-55193-7
- Murray, Stephen O (1996), Angkor Life, Bua Luang Books, ISBN 978-0-942777154
- Murray, Stephen O; Roscoe, Will (1997), Islamic Homosexualities: Culture, history, and literature, New York University Press, ISBN 978-0-8147-7468-7
- Murray, Stephen O; Roscoe, Will (1998), Boy-wives and Female Husbands: Studies in African homosexualities, St. Martin's Press, ISBN 978-0-312-23829-2
- Murray, Stephen O (1998), American Sociolinguistics: Theorists and theory groups, Amsterdam, ISBN 978-1-55619-532-7 (Rev. ed. of Theory groups and the study of language in North America: a social history (1994).
- Murray, Stephen O (2000), Homosexualities, University of Chicago Press, ISBN 978-0-226-55194-4
- Murray, Stephen O (2002), Pacific Homosexualities, Writers Club Press / iUniverse, ISBN 0-595-22785-6
- Hong, Keelung; Murray, Stephen O (2005), Looking through Taiwan: American anthropologists' collusion with ethnic domination, University of Nebraska press, ISBN 978-0-8032-2435-3
- Murray, Stephen O (2012), Pieces for a History of Gay Studies, Obregón, ASIN B007Q3E6EK
- Murray, Stephen O (2012), Reading Sicily (in English), Obregón, ASIN B0083LLH1O
- Murray, Stephen O (2012), Collected Stories, Obregón., ASIN B008HLQT3G
- Murray, Stephen O (2012), Reading 20th-Century Italian Fiction, Obregón, ASIN B00ABN6UUA
- Murray, Stephen O (2012), 21st-Century Representation of Muslim Homosexualities, Obregón, ASIN B008HKFYG0
- Murray, Stephen O (2013), An Introduction to African Cinema, Obregón, ASIN B00AZMXAE6
- Murray, Stephen O (2013), American Anthropology and Company: Historical Explorations, University of Nebraska Press., ISBN 0803243952
- ↑ Patrick, Jeremy (September 1, 2001), "Stephen O. Murray's Homosexualities (Review)", The Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide