Stevan Dohanos (May 18, 1907, Lorain, Ohio – 1994) was an artist and illustrator of the social realism school, best known for his Saturday Evening Post covers, and responsible for several of the Don't Talk set of World War II propaganda posters. He named Grant Wood and Edward Hopper as the greatest influences on his painting.
Dohanos attended the Cleveland School of Art. He worked in fine art as well as in commercial art. He was a member of the National Society of Mural Painters and the Society of Illustrators. He was a founding faculty member of the Famous Artists School of Westport, Connecticut.
His easel paintings and prints have been displayed in the Cleveland Museum of Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and Dartmouth College. He was nationally known as an illustrator and magazine cover artist, particularly for his work appearing in The Saturday Evening Post, for which he created over 125 covers. He was a member of the Dutch Treat Club in New York City
- "Stevan Dohanos, A Stamp Designer And Illustrator, 87". The New York Times. July 6, 1994. Retrieved December 31, 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Postal Murals". Retrieved 20 December 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Workers' Landscape: American Images 1900 - 1950". Retrieved 20 December 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Stevan Dohanos". National Museum of American Illustration, Newport, RI. Retrieved December 31, 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The United States Air Force Art Collection - Brief biography of Stevan Dohanos - URL retrieved November 8, 2005
- Another brief biography of Stevan Dohanos - URL retrieved December 22, 2005
- American Realist - Stevan Dohanos at the Wayback Machine (archived July 3, 2008)
- "Treasury Department Section of Painting and Sculpture"
- Delaney, Arthur A "Social realism in WPA-era post office murals", Stamps, ISSN 0038-9358, 02/1995, Volume 250, Issue 9, p. 8
- Park, Marlene, Democratic vistas : post offices and public art in the New Deal Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1984. ISBN 0-87722-348-3
- Siboroski, Paul Michael The production of art under the treasury section of fine arts during the new deal: six murals in the West Palm Beach Post Office by Stevan Dohanos, Federal Art Project, 1988
- Saturday Evening Post covers at the Wayback Machine (archived July 1, 2007)
- Stevan Dohanos artwork can be viewed at American Art Archives web site
- Stevan Dohanos posters, hosted by the University of North Texas Libraries Digital Collections
- Stevan Dohanos tear sheets in the Charles Craver Collection at the Modern Graphic History Library
- "Award for Careless Talk", Stevan Dohanos Museum of Modern Art
- New Deal Art in Florida
- The Pop History Dig: The U.S. Post Office, features several Saturday Everning Post covers by Dohanos
- Society of Illustrators Hall of Fame inductee Stevan Dohanos