T. Zachary Cotler
|T. Zachary Cotler|
|Born||Theodore Zachary Cotler
1981 (age 35–36)
Passaic, New Jersey, United States
|Alma mater||Iowa Writers Workshop (MFA, 2008)
Cornell University (BA, 2003)
Theodore Zachary Cotler (born 1981) is an American poet and novelist. He won the 2012 Sawtooth Poetry Prize for Sonnets to the Humans and the 2104 Colorado Prize for Poetry for Supplice. In 2011, the Poetry Foundation awarded him the Ruth Lilly Fellowship.
Early life and education
Cotler spent his childhood in Marin County, California. He graduated from Cornell University in 2003 with a B.A. in English. In 2008, he received his MFA in poetry from the Iowa Writers Workshop.
In 2009, Cotler founded The Winter Anthology at winteranthology.com with Michael Rutherglen, Olivia Clare, and Brandon Krieg. Cotler continues to spearhead and edit the anthology. His first book of poems, House with a Dark Sky Roof, was published in 2011. In 2012, Heather McHugh picked Cotler as the winner of the Sawtooth Prize, and in 2013, Ahsahta Press published Sonnets to the Humans, a cycle of 47 sonnets (the first of a projected trilogy of such sequences). Supplice, the second book of sonnets, was picked as the winner of the 2014 Colorado Prize for Poetry by Claudia Keelan. Cotler's first novel Ghost at the Loom was published in 2014.
Ghost at the Loom (MP USA, 2014)
Supplice (Center for Literary Publishing, 2014)
Sonnets to the Humans (Ahsahta, 2013)
House with a Dark Sky Roof (Salt, 2011)
Elegies for Humanism (Rare Bird Books, 2015)
- Poetry Foundation. "T. Zachary Cotler : The Poetry Foundation". poetryfoundation.org. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
Theodore Zachary Cotler was born in Passaic, New Jersey, in 1981 and raised in Marin County, California.
- "Current Winner | Center for Literary Publishing". Coloradoreview.colostate.edu. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "Ruth Lilly Poetry Fellowships". The Poetry Foundation. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "T. Zachary Cotler". The Poetry Foundation. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "The Winter Anthology — Masthead". Winteranthology.com. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Steven Toussaint. "(to-forge-the-eye-is-a-mountain-in-the-empyrean)". Steventoussaint.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- T. Zachary Cotler. "Sonnets to the Humans | Ahsahta PressAhsahta Press". Ahsahtapress.org. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Edward Stephens. "Ghost at the Loom by T. Zachary Cotler". Bookslut. Retrieved 2014-06-09.