A street in Ueno, Taitō
Location of Taitō in Tokyo Metropolis
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Mayor (Ward)||Hiroshi Yoshizumi (since May 2003)|
|• Total||10.11 km2 (3.90 sq mi)|
|Population (May 1, 2015)|
|• Density||18,420/km2 (47,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
As of May 1, 2015, the ward has an estimated population of 186,276 and a population density of 18,420 persons per km². The total area is 10.11 km². This makes Taito ward the smallest of Tokyo's wards in area, and third smallest in population.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Landmarks
- 4 Education
- 5 Economy
- 6 Events
- 7 Transportation
- 8 Sports and recreation
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Taitō is famous for its typical Shitamachi districts.
Temples and shrines
- Sensō-ji and Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate)
- Asakusa Shrine
- Akiba Shrine
- Ueno Tōshō-gū
Museums and zoos
- Amuse Museum
- Asakura Sculpture Hall
- Daimyo Clock Museum
- National Museum of Western Art
- National Museum of Nature and Science
- Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum
- Tokyo National Museum
- Ueno no Mori Museum
- Ueno Zoo
- Yokoyama Taikan Memorial Hall
- Suzumoto Engeijo (Suzumoto Vaudeville Hall)
- Asakusa Vaudeville Hall
Colleges and universities
- Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music
- Ueno Gakuen University
Primary and secondary schools
Taito operates public elementary and junior high schools.
Public high schools are operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education.
- Hakuo High School
- Kuramae Technical High School
- Shinobugaoka High School
- Taito Commercial High School
- Taito Chuyakan High School
- Ueno High School
- Ueno Shinobugaoka High School
The school district of the metropolis also operates one metropolitan junior high school:
- Hakuo Junior High School
Taito operates several public libraries, including the Central Library, the Central Library Asakusabashi Branch, the Negishi Library, and the Ishihama Library. The Central Library is located in the first and second floors of the Lifelong Learning Center.
The city operates the Lifelong Learning Center, a complex including a multi-media room, a studio, and other facilities. The Central Library is on the first and second floors of the Lifelong Learning Center.
Tokyo Ricoh Office Solution and Ricoh Technosystems, divisions of Ricoh, are headquartered in Taitō as of 2008. Chikumashobo, a publisher, has its headquarters in the Kuramae (蔵前) area of the ward.
- Taiyo Yuden, electronics and materials company in Ueno
- Sumidagawa Fireworks Festival
- Asakusa Samba Carnival
- Torigoe Shrine Matsuri
- Sanja Matsuri, one of the three great festivals of Tokyo
- JR East
- Tōhoku Shinkansen, Jōetsu Shinkansen, Akita Shinkansen, Yamagata Shinkansen: Ueno Station
- Tōhoku Main Line
- Yamanote Line, Keihin-Tōhoku Line: Okachimachi, Ueno, Uguisudani Stations. Also, Nippori Station (on the boundary with Taitō)
- Utsunomiya Line, Takasaki Line: Ueno Station
- Jōban Line: Officially, the line begins at Nippori Station, although most trains start/terminate at Ueno Station
- Tokyo Metro
- Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation
- Keisei Electric Railway Keisei Main Line: Keisei Ueno Station
- Tobu Railway Isesaki Line: Asakusa Station
- Tsukuba Express: Shin-Okachimachi, Asakusa Stations
Sports and recreation
The City of Taito operates the Taito Riverside Sports Center. The center includes a gymnasium, tennis courts, two baseball fields for adults, one baseball field for children, one large swimming pool, one children's pool, and an athletic field. The gymnasium includes two courts, two budo halls, a Japanese-style archery range, a sumo ring, a training room, a table tennis room, an air-rifle shooting range, and a meeting room.
- English name of Taitō
- "Public Facilities." City of Taito. Accessed August 27, 2008.
- "Topics - Annual Report 2006." Ricoh. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "Ricoh Group Registration Scope." Ricoh. Retrieved on January 13, 2009.
- "筑摩書房 会社概要" (Archive). Chikumashobo. Retrieved on November 2, 2014. "本社 〒111-8755 東京都台東区蔵前2-5-3"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taitō, Tokyo.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Taito.|