Taking Off (film)
|File:Taking Off (film poster).jpg
|Directed by||Miloš Forman|
|Written by||Jean-Claude Carrière
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures (1971, original)
Carlotta Films (under license from Universal Pictures) (2011, Blu-Ray DVD)
Taking Off is a 1971 film comedy. It was Czech director Miloš Forman's first American film. It tells the story of a group of parents whose children have run away from home. The parents take the opportunity to rediscover their youth.
It features a number of set pieces, including an open-mic record label audition which is woven throughout the film, featuring a number of female singers (including a young Carly Simon and an acoustic ballad by a then-unknown Kathy Bates) performing old standards, folk ballads, and rock songs; a meeting in which a group of generally middle-class conservative parents are taught how to smoke marijuana; and a raucous game of strip poker played by the adults.
It was written by Forman in collaboration with John Guare, along with Jean-Claude Carriere and John Klein.
Part of the movie also takes place at a Tina Turner concert.
- Lynn Carlin - Lynn Tyne
- Buck Henry - Larry Tyne
- Georgia Engel - Margot
- Tony Harvey - Tony
- Audra Lindley - Ann Lockston
- Paul Benedict - Ben Lockston
- Vincent Schiavelli - Schiavelli
- David Gittler - Jamie
- Ike Turner - Himself
- Tina Turner - Herself
- Linnea Heacock - Jeannie Tyne
- Rae Allen - Mrs. Divito
- Frank Berle - Committee Man
- Philip Bruns - Policeman (as Phillip Bruns)
- Gail Busman - Nancy Lockston
- Carly Simon - Audition Singer
- Kathy Bates - Audition Singer (as Bobo Bates)
- Shellen Lubin - Audition Singer
- Shelley Ackerman - Audition Singer
- Lois Dengrove - Audition Singer
- Bonnie Marcus - Audition Singer
Taking Off was released to Blu-Ray DVD on by British company Park Circus on November 7th, 2011 as a Region 2 widescreen Blu-Ray DVD and by Gaumont (with Carlotta Films as home video distributor) on March 23rd, 2011 as a Region 0 widescreen Blu-Ray DVD.
- "Festival de Cannes: Taking Off". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-04-13.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>