The Asterisk War
|The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water|
First light novel volume cover
(Gakusen Toshi Asutarisuku)
|Genre||Action, Romance, Harem|
|Written by||Yuu Miyazaki|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Imprint||MF Bunko J|
|Original run||September 25, 2012 – present|
|Written by||Yuu Miyazaki|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||January 2013 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Manabu Ono (General director)
|Produced by||Isao Sato
|Written by||Munemasa Nakamoto
|Music by||Rasmus Faber|
|Network||Animax, Tokyo MX, GTV, GYT, BS11, ABC, CBC|
|Original run||October 3, 2015 – present|
The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water (学戦都市アスタリスク Gakusen Toshi Asutarisuku?, lit. "Academy Battle City Asterisk"), is a Japanese light novel series written by Yuu Miyazaki and illustrated by Okiura. Media Factory has published 8 volumes since September 2012 under their MF Bunko J imprint. A manga adaptation with art by Ningen began serialization in Media Factory's seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive from January 2013. It has been collected in two tankōbon volumes. An anime television series adaptation by A-1 Pictures began airing on October 3, 2015. The first half of the anime television series adaptation aired from October 3, 2015 to December 19, 2015. It has been licensed by Aniplex of America in North America. The second half began airing on April 2, 2016.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 3 Media
- 4 References
- 5 External links
In the 20th century, an impact event called Invertia (落星雨 Inverutia?) leads to the destruction of the Earth's numerous cities. In response to the declining economy, the Integrated Enterprise Foundation (統合企業財体 Tōgō Kigyō Zaitai?, also "Integrated Empire Foundation") is organized to assume the world's leadership. The parallel city of Rikka (六花?), also known as Asterisk, has six academies which hold tournaments called "Festas" (星武祭 Fesuta?) between humans with superpowers called Genestella (
- Ayato Amagiri (天霧 綾斗 Amagiri Ayato?)
- Voiced by: Atsushi Tamaru
- Ayato is the main protagonist of the series who uses the Amagiri Shinmei Style. He transfers to Seidōkan Academy to investigate his sister's disappearance and to figure out what he is supposed to do (he later says that it is to protect Julis). On his first day, he is challenged to a duel by Julis because of the embarrassing events that happen between them. During the duel, an unknown attacker shoots an arrow at Julis, but she is saved by Ayato. Before they can continue, the duel is stopped by Claudia, the student council president. Ayato also meets his childhood friend, Saya, whom he has not seen for five years. While Julis is showing Ayato and Saya around the city the next day as thanks for him saving her during the duel, Saya claims that Ayato is a powerful opponent whose opponents never live to tell the tale, which Julis does not believe. But as time progress she realize that Ayato is really really strong. Ayato often find himself in the center of occasional embarrassing moments as Julis, Saya, Kirin and even Claudia all try to vie for Ayato's attention.
- Julis-Alexia von Riessfelt (ユリス＝アレクシア・フォン・リースフェルト Yurisu-Arekushia Fon Rīsuferuto?)
- Voiced by: Ai Kakuma
- Julis is fifth ranking student of Seidōkan Academy, also known as "Glühende Rose", and is Lieseltania's First Princess. Her full name is Julis-Alexia Marie Florentia Renate von Riessfelt. She wields a rapier-type lux called Aspera Spina which she uses during the Phoenix tournament and bears the image of a flower for her power - control over flames. However, due to the last battle during the Phoenix Festa, Julis begins using a new rapier, Nova Spina. She warms to Ayato, unlike the other students with whom she is distant. She starts to like Ayato and often find herself arguing with Saya and Kirin and even Claudia for his attention. After their duel, Julis and Ayato decides to join together for the Phoenix tournament with Julis acting as the strategist for their team while Ayato the main attacker. Before meeting Ayato, Julis often escapes the castle and flees into the town. One time, she gets into trouble and is rescued by the orphans at church. That is also the reason why she is fighting in Asterisk, to earn money and donate to the church. Julis holds a handkerchief which she holds dearly (given by Ophelia).
- Claudia Enfield (クローディア・エンフィールド Kurōdia Enfīrudo?)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama
- Claudia is the second highest ranking student of Seidoukan Academy and its Student Council President. She recommends Ayato's transfer to the academy. She has held the position of President since junior high and wants to win the Gryps to make her wish came true. She uses pan-dora, a lux which allows her to see into the future during duels. Claudia is also one of the female characters that try to gain Ayato's affections, though she is more open in showing her feelings for him. She also likes to seduce him at times.
- Saya Sasamiya (沙々宮 紗夜 Sasamiya Saya?)
- Voiced by: Shiori Izawa
- Daughter of Soichi and Kaya Sasamiya, Saya is Ayato's childhood friend. She moved abroad six years ago due to her father's career. She seems to be an air-headed stoic who has trouble waking up in the morning and is directionally-challenged. She uses a 38th generation Lux grenade launcher Helnekrom but later switches to a type 41 Gleaming Form - twin particle guns Waidenholt and Type 34 wave Motion heavy artillery Ark Van Ders for the Phoenix. Like Kirin, she enters the Phoenix for her father's sake.
- Kirin Toudou (刀藤 綺凛 Tōdō Kirin?)
- Voiced by: Ari Ozawa
- Kirin is the top-ranking student of Seidoukan Academy. She is a shy and quiet girl who becomes the academy's top student as a 13 year-old and has not lost to anyone until Ayato challenges her a second time. Their first duel happens because Ayato stops her uncle Kouichiro from hitting her and challenges him to a duel. Kirin is his opponent and she uses her lightning speed to defeat him. She seems to be under her uncle's influence but her friendship with Ayato allows her to break free and bravely tells Kouichiro that she wants to decide things for herself from now on. Kirin entered the Phoenix to clear her father's name and release him. She does not have a personal lux but rather carries a katana (Senbakiri) around as a weapon which often makes her greatly marveled by others as she tops the former No. 1 spot just by using a katana. She and Saya team up for the Phoenix tournament but they lose to Arlequint's Ardi and Rimsi in the semifinal. After Ayato's final match, she also attempts to vie for Ayato's attention by squeezing her chest on his head and declares she would make onigiri (rice balls) for him everyday.
- Eishirou Yabuki (夜吹 英士郎 Yabuki Eishirō?)
- Voiced by: Yūma Uchida
- Eishirou is Ayato's roommate. Well known as a member of the academy's newspaper club, he's also a member of the Shadow Star, a secret police force that works for the Integrated Enterprise Foundation (which is essentially the world government).
- Lester MacPhail (レスター・マクフェイル Resutā Makufeiru?)
- Voiced by: Takanori Hoshino
- Seidoukan Academy's rank 9. He is ranked 5th until Julis defeats him. His Lux is an axe named Bardiche Leo. Despite his usual attitude, he is actually a decent fellow and has helped both Julis and Ayato on a few occasions.
- Kyōko Yatsuzaki (八津崎 匡子 Yatsuzaki Kyōko?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Kaida
- The homeroom teacher of year 1 class 3. Former student of Le Wolfe and a Strega who led Le Wolfe's group to Seidoukan Academy's only Gryps victory.
st. Galahadworth School
- Ernest Fairclough (アーネスト・フェアクロフ Ānesuto Feakurofu?)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- The President of St. Garrardsworth Academy.
Jie Long Seventh Institute
- Fan Xinglu (范 星露 Fan Shinrū?)
- Voiced by: Omi Minami
- The young president of the Jie Long Seventh Institute. Because of her age she is unable to participate in the current Festa.
- Ernesta Kühne (エルネスタ・キューネ Erunesuta Kyūne?)
- Voiced by: Chinatsu Akasaki
- A student from Arlequint Academy and leader of Pygmalion (Sculptor Faction). A genius at making puppets, she wants AIs to be treated as equal to humans and sees Ardi and Rimsi as her children.
- Camilla Pareto (カミラ・パレート Kamira Parēto?)
- Voiced by: Mutsumi Tamura
- A student from Arlequint Academy and member of Ferrovious (Lions Faction).
Rewolf Black Institute
- Dirk Eberwein (ディルク・エーベルヴァイン Diruku Ēberuvain?)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- The student council president of Rewolf Black Institute. A base-line human whose unprecedented rise to top of a battle school for superhumans is due to his ability to manipulate others behind the scenes.
Queenvail Girls' Academy
- Sylvia Ryuneheim ( シルヴィア・リューネハイム Shiruvia Ryūnehaimu?)
- Voiced by: Haruka Chisuga
- Also known as "Melodious Witch" (戦律の魔女 Shiguru Dorīva?) and The Supreme Songstress, as the world's top idol, she is the Student Council President and the top student of Queenvail Girls' Academy who is very persistent. Sylvia was the previous runner up of the last Lindvolus, after losing to Orphelia. She is introduced in volume 5 of the light novel when Ayato enters Rotlicht to search for Flora, and Mafias starts chasing after him. Sylvia volunteers to look after the matter and reveals her true identity to Ayato, uses her powers to locate Flora's whereabouts and asks him to keep this matter a secret between them. Ayato is unable to thank her properly and asks for her contact information. Sylvia later uses their secret to ask Ayato out on a date to a school festival (volume 7). Sylvia is looking for her master, Ursula Svento, who taught her about music and the world who might also have participated in the Eclipse just like Ayato's sister. During a match of the Grand Coliseum, Sylvia recognizes her master and runs after her. However, Ursula does not recognize Sylvia and attacks her. Ayato rescues her and offers her his help and Sylvia falls in love with Ayato due to his kind nature. Sylvia is part of the genestella generation and uses a headphone hair ornament to cover her true identity and roam freely in Asterisk. Her ability is omnipotent, which allows her to change her image to any form using music as a medium by singing a song which contained that image.
A manga adaptation by Ningen has been compiled into three volumes as of December 2015[update], and is licensed in English by Yen Press. A spinoff manga, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Gaiden: Queenveil no Tsubasa by Shou Akane, has one volume in print as of August 2015[update].
Four pieces of theme music are used for the two seasons: two opening themes and two ending themes. The first opening theme, titled "Brand-new world", is performed by Shiena Nishizawa. The ending theme is "Waiting for the rain", performed by Maaya Sakamoto. For the second season, the opening theme, titled "The Asterisk War", is performed once again by Shiena Nishizawa. The ending theme is "Ai no Uta - Words of Love" (愛の詩-words of love-"?), performed by Haruka Chisuga.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Witch of the Resplendent Flames"
"Kaen no Majo" (華焔の魔女)
|October 3, 2015|
|Ayato Amagiri, a young male Genestella, grabs a handkerchief dropped from a dormitory window and when he returns it to its owner, Julis-Alexia von Riessfelt, he inadvertently discovers her putting her clothes on. Julis challenges Ayato to a duel, but the duel is interrupted when the Seidoukan student council president Claudia Enfield steps in to void it because Ayato is not yet officially enrolled at the academy. Ayato and Claudia discuss about his sister Haruka, who has disappeared and led Ayato to transfer to Seidoukan. Ayato is introduced to the class and following school, Lester MacPhail challenges Julis to a duel that Julis refuses until hearing that Lester duels for fun.|
"Seru Beresuta" (セル=ベレスタ)
|October 10, 2015|
|Lester withdraws his challenge when Ayato intervenes. Julis explains that while she is a princess, she is fighting because she needs money for her country. Ayato meets up with his childhood friend Saya Sasamiya in class, and Claudia appears arguing with Julis to decide who takes Ayato on a tour around town. Julis takes Ayato on a tour with Saya, and while on the tour, Julis and Saya get attacked by a hooded man and the two defeat him. Later that day, Claudia takes Ayato to select his weapon. After seeing Lester fail to wield Ser Veresta, an Ogre Lux that Haruka previously wielded, Ayato grabs the weapon and displays his compatibility with it.|
|3||"A Holiday for Two"
"Futari no Kyūjitsu" (二人の休日)
|October 17, 2015|
|Ayato is asked by Claudia to find out who is responsible for the attacks that have been happening to Seidoukan students. Ayato and Julis go out on a date, and Julis explains that he is fighting for money because she needs it to start up some welfare projects. The two meet with Lester demanding a rematch with Julis, but he withdraws because of his honor code. On the way home, Ayato and Julis get ambushed by Le Wolfe students. Julis easily defeats them and learn that a hooded man hired them to attack those Seidoukan students.|
"Tokihanata Reshi Mono" (解き放たれし者)
|October 24, 2015|
|The hooded men turn out to be robots built by Silas Norman of Arlequint, and his motive is to injure many of the top fighters using his robotic fighters so that he would have an easier time winning the Phoenix Festa. Julis takes on Silas's robots, but she is overwhelmed by their great numbers. Ayato arrives, rescues Julis and unleashes the power of Ser Veresta. However, he learns that his power only lasts for five minutes due to the shackles on his power cast by Haruka. Silas is then punished by Claudia.|
|5||"Lightning Blade Speed"
|October 31, 2015|
|In a meeting between student council presidents, Claudia strikes an agreement with Arlequint to form a partnership in research and development. Meanwhile, Ayato bumps into Kirin Toudou, the highest-ranking student of Seidoukan. Witnessing her uncle Kouichiro acting violently towards her, Ayato intervenes and asks him to stop abusing her, which Kouichiro accepts if he can defeat Kirin in a duel. Ayato holds back in his duel and loses to Kirin, who Ayato finds out to be the top fighter in the academy despite her age.|
|6||"The True Face of the Girl"
"Sugao no Shōjo" (素顔の少女)
|November 7, 2015|
|Julis lectures Ayato for challenging Kirin, but commends him for his actions. Ayato and Kirin have a training session together where she explains that Kouichiro is an ambitious man who is planning to use her to become a board member of the executive committee. Kirin also explains that she is fighting for her father, who was detained after using magic in self-defense. During the session, Ayato and Kirin get attacked by shapeshifting lizards and end up falling underground.|
|7||"Decisions and Duels"
"Ketsui to Kettō" (決意と決闘)
|November 14, 2015|
|Ayato defeats the dragon that sent the shapeshifting lizards to attack him and Kirin. While trapped underground, Kirin explains her story about her father. Kirin was held hostage by a criminal that her father killed to rescue her and despite acting in self-defense, her father was charged as a criminal because he is a Genestella. The two are rescued, and upon hearing that her uncle sees her as a tool, Kirin decides to follow Ayato instead of her uncle. Kirin challenges Ayato to a duel, and both fighters goes all-out with Ayato emerging victorious. Following the duel, Kirin decides train with Ayato and pair up with Saya for the Phoenix Festa as both are fighting for their fathers.|
|8||"A Holiday for Two, Part 2"
"Futari no Kyūjitsu Ni" (二人の休日②)
|November 21, 2015|
|Saya and Kirin struggle with their teamwork during a training session. Instead of continuing their training, the two go on a shopping trip together to strengthen their bonds. Saya buys a gun from a used Lux store, and then the girls head to the pool to help Kirin learn how to swim. While at the pool, Kirin accidentally bumps into Violet Weinberg of Queenvail. An enraged Violet challenges Saya to a duel and is easily defeated. The next day, Saya and Kirin return to training with their teamwork greatly improved. The draws for the Phoenix Festa are announced with Ayato and Julis not having to face Saya and Kirin until the finals.|
|9||"The Phoenix Festa"
|November 28, 2015|
|Irene Urzaiz of Le Wolfe is released from prison and is given orders by the school's student council president Dirk Eberwein to defeat Ayato in the Phoenix Festa. The tournament begins with Ayato and Julis quickly winning their first match with a single strike by Ayato using the Ser Veresta. Following the match, Ayato has interviews with the media and is determined to keep the time limit of the Ser Veresta a secret. In the next match, Ernesta and Camilla easily win their first match using their robots RM-C and AR-D.|
|10||"The Tyrant Vampire Princess"
|December 5, 2015|
|Saya's father Souichi tells her that he has a new gun prepared for her, but it would not arrive in time for her first match. Ayato and Julis go off to get some practice and while rushing to catch Saya and Kirin's first match, they see Irene brawling in the streets. Irene approaches Ayato to pick a fight with him, but her sister Priscilla arrives to apologize. Saya and Kirin win their first match, and then Ayato and Julis win their second match with only Julis attacking. The next match has Lester and Randy against Irene and Priscilla. Irene defeats Randy and as part of the plan her blood is drained to power her Ogre Lux, the Gravi-Sheath. However, Irene sucks blood from Priscilla to recharge her Gravi-Sheath and easily defeats Lester for the win.|
|11||"Power and Its Price"
"Chikara to Daishō" (力と代償)
|December 12, 2015|
|While searching for Saya, Ayato is met by Priscilla, who is being pursued by gamblers. Ayato helps Priscilla shake her pursuers, and Irene arrives telling him that they are opponents for the next match. Irene then attacks Dirk for failing to ensure Priscilla's safety as part of the contract, but her attack is rebuffed. Later that day, Ayato and Julis get invited to dinner at Irene and Priscilla's apartment. Irene tells her situation that she owes a massive debt to Dirk and has been gambling at the casino to help pay it off. That night, Ayato sneaks into Claudia's apartment to ask about Irene's weapon and learns that Ogre Luxes can change the wielder's personality.|
|December 19, 2015|
|Irene recalls the time she received the Gravi-Sheath from Dirk shortly before the fourth round match with Ayato and Julis. Julis unleashes her Rafflesia attack after some strategical tactics, but Irene survives the attack. Irene sucks Priscilla's blood and the Gravi-Sheath possesses her causing a massive gravity flux on the battlefield. Ayato withstands the gravity attack and destroy the Gravi-Sheath using the Reverse-gouging Shell attack to win the match. However, having used Ser Veresta past the five minute limit that he suffers from its side effects and it is now public knowledge. Dirk decides to form a partnership with Ernesta and Camilla, and Priscilla lets Irene know that she will become a fighter someday to fight alongside Irene. Meanwhile, Steering Committee chairman Madiath Mesa reveals that he has a scheme and by winning, Ayato is interfering with his plans.|
|No.||Title||Original air date|
"Banyū Tenra" (有天羅万)
|April 2, 2016|
|Ayato and Julis fights Song Ran and Zhou Kunzhan of Jie Long. Julis creates a wall of fire to turn the match into two one-on-one battles and in a coordinated attack, Julis makes a hole in the wall and the two take out each other's opponents. Following the match, the maid Flora Klemm shows up in the locker room to meet Julis.|
"Akuratsu no Ō" (悪辣の王)
|April 9, 2016|
|Julis explains her background and relationship with Flora. One day, Julis visited the orphanage Flora is from and her visit improved everybody's outlooks on life. As a result, Julis explains that she is fighting in the tournament to support the orphanage. The next day, Ayato, Julis, and Flora go out on a shopping trip together, and Ayato is asked by a Le Wolfe student to meet Dirk, who reveals that Haruka was seriously injured fighting in an illegal underground tournament called the Eclipse Festa.|
|15||"Breaking the Memory Barrier"
"Tsuioku Tōha" (追憶闘破)
|April 16, 2016|
|On the night before the match, Ayato and Saya recall the time they trained together with Haruka and could never beat her. The match against the twins Shenyun and Shenhua of Jie Long begins with Ayato activating his Ser Veresta and knowing about his time limit, Shenyun creates clones of himself to force Ayato to use up his energy, and then trap him in his talisman cage, while Juls engages with Shenhua. Following the hit Ayato took from the exploding talismans, Shenyun is about to finish off Ayato with his time limit having been reached until Julis rescues him.|
|16||"Never Back Down"
"Yuzurenu Omoi" (譲れぬ想い)
|April 23, 2016|
|With Ayato battered, Julis struggles to defend him as she gets chained up. In response, Ayato unlocks the second level of his weapon that allows him to sustain the Ser Veresta for an hour. Realizing that the attacks are illusions, Ayato closes his eyes to withstand the attack and defeat Shenhua, and then Shenyun after extending the reach of his weapon to destroy his fireball barrage. Following the match, Saya explains that her father lost most of his body in a lab accident. Saya and Kirin begin their semifinal match against AR-D and RM-C by reading their moves, something all previous opponents were unable to do.|
|17||"The Tyrant's Puppet Strings"
"Akuratsu no kuri-ito" (悪辣の繰り糸)
|April 30, 2016|
|Saya unleashes her Lux cannon, but AR-D's barrier reduces the damage. The two robot combine and overwhelm an exhausted Saya and Kirin. Following the match, Flora gets kidnapped and the captors demand that Ayato puts a freeze on his Ser Veresta that would make him unable to use the weapon ever again. Claudia comes up with a plan to apply for the freeze, and then stall the process as long as possible until Flora can be rescued. Saya and Kirin go out to search for Flora.|
|May 7, 2016|
|Ayato and Julis win their semifinal match against Elliot and Doroteo of St. Galahadworth without using Ser Veresta. Saya and Kirin continue to search around for leads with help from Eishiro, while Ayato meets Irene in secret. Camilla recalls the past when she lost her limbs in a terrorist attack and Ernesta installed prosthetic limbs to replace them. Going off of Irene's speculation, Ayato goes to Rotlicht, but he gets cornered by mafia men. A mysterious girl then suddenly appears.|
"Sen ritsu" (戦律)
|May 14, 2016|
|Ayato and the girl escape the mafia, but one person followed them and is easily defeated. The girl reveals herself as the songstress Sylvia Lyyneheym and she sings a song to locate Flora. Ayato passes on her location to Saya and Kirin as they decide that they will rescue Flora, while Ayato and Julis concentrate on their match. Saya and Kirin arrive at the hideout and are attacked by an endless army of shadows when Lester arrives to cover for them as they proceed deeper into the hideout.|
|20||"The Phoenix Showdown"
"Fenikusu Kessen" (覇凰決戦)
|May 21, 2016|
|In the match, Ayato and Julis form a strategy to force AR-D and RM-C to merge as quickly as possible and then defeat them during the merge. During the merging process, Ayato defeats RM-C. However, he fails to defeat AR-D and his transformed version makes him stronger than before. Meanwhile, Saya and Kirin rescue Flora after a tough battle against the shadow master Wernher. With Flora rescued, Claudia announces the news over the microphone and Ayato activates the Ser Veresta now that the freeze has been cancelled.|
|May 28, 2016|
|Ayato and AR-D battle, and deciding that speed is the key to victory, Julis transfers her energy to the Ser Veresta. Ayato performs the Moon of Carnage technique to defeat AR-D and win the Phoenix Festa. Ayato is presented the trophy from the Madiath. Meanwhile, Eishiro disposes of Wernher. After the battle, Ayato and Julis are congratulated, while Camilla and RM-C approach Saya asking for a rematch claiming that her victory is a conflict of interest. Ayato then makes a request to Madiath to search for Haruka. Shortly afterwards, Madiath cuts ties with Dirk and reveals that he is secretly in possession of Haruka's body.|
|June 4, 2016|
- "The Asterisk War: The Academy City of the Water Light Novels Get Anime Adaptation". Anime News Network. April 3, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The Asterisk War 2nd season promo video previews opening theme". Anime News Network. March 10, 2016. Retrieved April 2, 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Yen Press Licenses Asterisk War, Re:Zero Manga, Light Novels". Anime News Network. December 2, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The Asterisk War Anime Gets PS Vita Game". Anime News Network. August 22, 2015. Retrieved December 2, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Aniplex USA Licenses The Asterisk War Anime". Anime News Network. September 22, 2015. Retrieved September 22, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The Asterisk War PS Vita game announced". Gematsu. August 22, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>