The Daily Star (Bangladesh)
Front page of the Friday edition of The Daily Star on 17 January 2008
|Headquarters||64-65, Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Dhaka-1215|
The Daily Star is the largest circulating daily English-language newspaper in Bangladesh. Founded by Syed Mohammed Ali on 14 January 1991, as Bangladesh transitioned and restored parliamentary democracy, The Daily Star emerged as a leading and influential national newspaper of record. Its editorial stance is characterized by staunch liberal and progressive ideals emanating from the Liberation of Bangladesh; a reputation for non-partisan quality reportage and a distinguished record of investigative journalism. The newspaper's position in Bangladesh is comparable to that of The New York Times in the United States and The Independent in the United Kingdom.
Its motto, "Committed to People's Right to Know", appears on the upper-middle section of the front page. The newspaper is led by Mahfuz Anam, a freedom fighter and former United Nations official. Its principal bureaus are located in Dhaka and Chittagong, with several representatives abroad. It is organized to sections: News, Opinion and Editorial, Star Business, Star Sports, Arts and Entertainment, National and Metropolitan. Its major supplements include The Star, Forum, Lifestyle, Star Literature, Law & Our Rights, Shout, Star Insight and Science and Life.
The Daily Star is owned by Mediaworld, in which a major share is held by Latifur Rahman's Transcom Group. The Transcom Group also owns Prothom Alo, one of the most widely read Bengali newspapers in the world.
The general section of the newspaper is headed by Dr Salehuddin Ahmed, its managing editor, while the news team is led by Syed Ashfaqul Haque, chief news editor. Ahmed Ali's in charge of the Metro. Other leaders are AFM Jamaluddin (establishment manager), Mizanur Rahman (accounts manager), Selim S.H. Chowdhury (production & events manager), and Sher Ali (advertising manager).
The Online version of The Daily Star
The Online version of The Daily Star as a leading English daily newspaper of Bangladesh is updating 24/7 with latest, breaking, politics, business, technology, world, entertainment, sports, lifestyle and crime news.
Pages, Magazines & Supplements
The Daily Star publishes a number of supplements along with its 24-page main publication.
- The Star, a magazine-size weekly, is published every Friday.
- Lifestyle, a weekly fashion and lifestyle tabloid, is published every Tuesday.
- Star Showbiz, Weekly entertainment tabloid, focused on local international movie, music and TV.
- Shout, a weekly tabloid-size supplement for teenagers, is published every week.
- Bytes Technology page
- Next Step
- Law and Our Rights, a weekly supplement on legal issues, published every Saturday.
- RisingStars, a weekly tabloid-size supplement for teenagers, is published every Thursday [defunct].
- Star Campus, was a university-based supplement of the paper, It was published every Sunday. Now publication closed. [defunct].
- Forum, a monthly magazine, edited by Shah Husain Imam, is published with the newspaper on the first Monday of the month [defunct].
- Star Insight, page 12, published every Wednesday.
- Newspaper Trends: Bangladesh, World Advertising Research Center; Retrieved: 14 September 2007
- "Remembering Syed Mohammad Ali". The Daily Star. 17 October 2007.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Transcom Group; Retrieved: 14 September 2007
- "The new generation of journalists has changed the face of the media". Probe News Magazine. 14 September 2006. Archived from the original on 23 December 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2007.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "About Us". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2007-09-06.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- English Daily: The Daily Star, Media Bangladesh; Retrieved: 2007-09-14
- Gonomot Online Website
- About Gonomot, Gonomot Online website
- The Daily Star Website
- BDmirror24.com, Most Trusted Online Newspaper in Bangladesh
- History of newspapers in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Live
- Bangladeshi Newspapers list
- Bangladeshi Newspapers and Media list
- eBanglaNewspaper.com- A complete source of Newspaper from Bangladesh
- All Bangla Newspaper link / All Daily Newspaper in Bangladesh link
- List of all English Newspaper
- Bangladeshi Newspapers