The Toowoomba Chronicle
|Owner(s)||APN News & Media|
The circulation of The Toowoomba Chronicle is 22,808 Monday to Friday and 30,270 on Saturday.
The Toowoomba Chronicle website is part of the APN Regional News Network.
The Darling Downs Gazette, founded at Drayton by Arthur Sidney Lyon, began publication in a wooden shanty on 10 June 1858. It moved to the burgeoning town of Toowoomba and merged with The Chronicle in 1922. The Chronicle, founded by Darius Hunt, began as a fourpenny weekly on 4 July 1861 in a coachbuilder's shop in James Street. On 4 February 1876, William Groom became sole proprietor, beginning nearly half a century of family control of a newspaper that he transformed into a powerful and persuasive political weapon.
In 1922 the Dunn family acquired the Gazette and the two newspapers were amalgamated as the Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs Gazette. The combined newspaper was published first on 2 October 1922. On 20 October 1969 The Chronicle format was changed from broadsheet to tabloid. The Chronicle and the Downs Star merged on 1 October 1970 under a new company Toowoomba Newspapers Pty Ltd. The newspaper was relaunched as Toowoomba's Mail in September 2003.
In 1988, Australian Provincial Newspapers Ltd (APN) acquired a 50% share in Toowoomba Newspapers.
- Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC). Average Net Paid Sales for October–December 2008 (metro and larger regional titles)/January–June 2008 (other regional titles).
- "MR. A. MESTON". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 12 March 1924. p. 6. Retrieved 20 September 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The Toowoomba Chronicle. Accessed 13 March 2009.
- "Newspaper and magazine titles". Trove. Retrieved 2 December 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". Trove. Retrieved 2 December 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This Australian newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|