Thomas Brugge, 5th Baron Chandos
Born in Coberley, Gloucestershire, England to Giles Brugge, 4th Baron Chandos and Catherine Clifford. Thomas first marriage was to Margaret Banaster, from which there was no issue. He remarried in 1458 to Florence, the daughter of William Darrell of Littlecote House in Wiltshire by his wife, Elizabeth, the daughter of Thomas Calston. Thomas and Florence had at least eight children:
- Elizabeth Brugge (born c. 1459 – 26 January 1535) married (1) William Cassey (2) Walter Rowdon. There is a commemorative memorial brass plaque on the floor of Eldersfield Church.
- Alice Brugge (born c. 1460) married to Thomas William Chicheley
- Giles Brugge, 6th Baron Chandos (c. 1462/63 – 1 December 1511) married to Isabel Baynham
- Eleanor Brugge (born c. 1463) married to Thomas Pauncefoot as his third wife.
- Henry Brugge (born c. 1464), Esq of Newbury in Berkshire. Henry 'Bruges' made a will dated 06/12/1537 - probated in London on 29/01/1538. His wife, at the time of his decease was Margery Buckerd, the widow of Nicholas Bedford. Henry mentions in his will his step-son, Robert Bedford, and his cousin, Anne the daughter of Constantine Darrell. Henry was succeeded by his son Sir Richard Brydges (Bruges or Bridges) of Great Shefford in Berkshire and Ludgershall in Wiltshire. Henry had a daughter Joan who married firstly John Giffard of Itchell Manor at Crondall in Hampshire and secondly William Thornhill of Thornhill in Dorset; Joane died 1557 at Thornhill. In 1520 and 1530 Henry Bruges was High Sheriff of Berkshire.
- Jane Brugge (born c. 1469)
- Thomas Brugge (born c. 1471)
- Anne Brugge (Bruges or Brydges, born c. 1473) married (1) William Reade (d.10 August 1508) of Deerhurst, Gloucestershire and (2) Henry Pole [Poole]. William and Anne had son and heir William Reade of Boddington.
- familysearch.org Accessed January 31, 2009
- thepeerage.com Accessed February 1, 2009
- Brugge (Brydges) family Accessed February 4, 2009
- Burke, Bernard. A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited, and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire. (p. 83) London: Harrison, 1866. googlebooks Retrieved February 5, 2009
- Collins, Arthur, and Egerton Brydges. Peerage of England: Genealogical, Biographical, and Historical. Vol. VI, (pp. 712–13) London: Printed for F.C. and J. Rivington, Otridge and Son, J. Nichols and Co., 1812. googlebooks Retrieved February 5, 2009
- Will of Sir Gyles Brugge probated 18 February 1512 - Prob 11/17
- Will of Henry Bruges at National Archives, reference Prob 11/27
- Magna Carta ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families By Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham
- Visitations of Wiltshire dated 1565 shows Margery as the daughter of William Buckerd. Also see note in Visitation of Berkshire 1532.