Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (May–August 2016)
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
- Mustafa Badreddine, a senior Hezbollah is killed by suspected artillery bombardment by an armed Sunni group at Damascus International Airport.
- Opposition fighters, consisting of Ahrar al-Sham and the al Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front capture the Syrian Alawite village of al-Zara and dozens of Alawite civilians are kidnapped.
- Reuters reports nearly 150 people are killed and at least 200 wounded in a series of car bomb and suicide attacks in the Syrian cities of Jableh and Tartus in government-controlled territory that hosts Russian military bases. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group claims responsibility.
- New satellite imagery from Stratfor appears to reveal the destruction of four Russian attack helicopters and 20 lorries at the Tiyas military airbase after a reported attack which was conducted last week by the ISIL.
- U.S. backed Syrian Democratic Forces, led by Kurdish forces, launch an operation to capture Al-Raqqah, the de facto capital of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. The force is reported to be more than 50,000 strong.
- Nusra Front rebels have captured the town of Deir Khabiyeh, south of Damascus.
- ISIS captures Kafr Kalbeen and Kaljibrin villages from rebel forces in northern Aleppo, cutting the supply lines toward the rebel stronghold of Mare.
- Syrian Democratic Forces seizes 11 villages and farms from the Islamic State Military in northern countryside of Al-Raqqah. Meanwhile, a pro-government source announces SAA advancing towards Al-Raqqa City in race to capture it.
- Reuters Editorial (13 May 2016). "Insurgents seize Syrian Alawite village, killing 19: Observatory". Reuters.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Syria civil war: ISIL bombs rock Assad-held cities".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "State media: At least 78 killed in Syria bombings". USA TODAY. 23 May 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- John Davison (23 May 2016). "Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities: monitor". Reuters.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Syria conflict: IS 'destroyed helicopters' at Russian base". BBC News.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Reuters Editorial (24 May 2016). "U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near Islamic State capital". Reuters India.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Rebel frontline collapses in northern Aleppo – Map update
- The Syrian Democratic Forces start their offensive towards al-Tabaqa and the Euphrates Lake, and 61 members from the “Islamic State” killed during six days of battles
- Syrian Army joins the race to Raqqa as several thousand soldiers pour into east Hama