Tishrin Dam offensive
|Tishrin Dam offensive|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War and
the American-led intervention in Syria
Map of the territorial changes from 23–30 December 2015
|Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
|Commanders and leaders|
| Abu Issa
(Liwa Thuwar al-Raqqa leader)
SDF: Several thousand fighters
|Casualties and losses|
|SDF: 9 killed||319 killed|
The Tishrin Dam offensive, or Southern Kobanî offensive, was a military operation in the northeastern Aleppo Governorate, during the Syrian Civil War conducted by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), to capture the strategic Tishrin Dam and the southern countryside of the Kobanî Canton from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). The Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve supported the SDF offensive with over 26 airstrikes.
On 23 December 2015, the joint command of the Syrian Democratic Forces officially launched the offensive, with the goal to "clear all areas in southern Kobanî Canton that have been occupied by elements of the terrorist group known as Daesh (ISIS)".
On 24 December 2015, the SDF captured the villages of Sahrij, Al Jabal, Abaydad, Al Mansia, Miruha, Sajjadi, Dandoshan, Birdan and over fifteen farmlands south of the town of Sarrin, which was captured by the YPG and Free Syrian Army earlier in same year, during the Battle of Sarrin (June–July 2015). 14 ISIL members and 2 SDF fighters were killed during the battles.
On 25 December 2015, the alliance of Kurdish, Arab and Assyrian militias seized the villages of Bojakh, Hafyan, Munsiye, Sofayte, Saqit, Dahr Al–Faraj and the surrounding farms from ISIL. During a nighttime raid, 12 ISIL members were killed. At that point, the SDF had managed to capture 16 km along the east bank of the Euphrates.
On 26 December 2015, the Syrian Democratic Forces captured the Tishrin Dam and the villages of Bir Shumal, Bir Bagar, Abdilkiye, Tal Banat, Khishkhash, Al-Wesi and Miwelih. The Syrian Democratic forces managed to kill five ISIS fighters and captured another eight alive. A total of 50 villages were seized from ISIL during the first four days of the offensive.
On 27 December 2015, the SDF advanced on the western bank of the Euphrates. They captured the towns of Tishrin and Sakaniya. At least 15 members of ISIL were killed during the operation. On the same day ISIL executed four young men in Manbij who were accused of being members of the SDF.
On 30 December 2015, the general command of the SDF declared the end of the operation to liberate the southern areas of the Kobanî Canton. The Syrian Democratic Forces captured over 100 villages and hamlets, the Tishrin Dam, an area of ~640 km², and killed 219 ISIL fighters, according to a balance sheet released by the SDF. An additional 100 ISIL fighters were killed by Coalition airstrikes during the offensive. Seven SDF members and two members of the police force Asayish died during the operation.
- November 2015 Sinjar offensive
- Battle of al-Hasakah (June–August 2015)
- Al-Hawl offensive
- Al-Shaddadi offensive (2016)
- Manbij offensive (2016)
- List of wars and battles involving ISIL
- Al-Khalidi, Suleiman (24 December 2015). "U.S.-backed alliance pushes toward Islamic State-held dam in northern Syria". Reuters.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Syrian Kurds take strategic dam from 'Islamic State'". DW.COM.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Kurdish-Arab join forces advance against ISIS north Aleppo
- General Command of SDF announcing balance sheet of OP south of Kobane: 100 villages liberated & 219 IS killed. According to SDF an area of 640 square kilometres with 100 villages and hamlets are under the control of SDF. 7 fighters of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) & 2 Asayish-members martyred. (ku.hawarnews.com)
- Sardar Mlla Drwish (18 March 2016). "Raqqa brigade continues to raise flag of Syrian revolution". Al-Monitor. Retrieved 4 April 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Syrian Democratic Forces Initiate Second Round of Operations Against Daesh in Northern Syria". Washington Kurdish Institute.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Effective Operations Carried Out Hours After Enduring QSD Campaign Aimed At Confronting Daesh in Southern Kobane". People's Defense Units Official Website.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "U.S.-backed alliance captures key dam from Islamic State: alliance spokesman". Reuters. 26 December 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Local Coordination Committees of Syrıa 13-01-2016
- American soldiers among SDF forces
- Aleppo : 10 #US officers and 60 soldiers arrived at #Tishrin_Dam two days ago to form an operations room with Syrian Democratic Forces. 1-3
- Iraqi Flag Waves Over Ramadi; Security Forces Control Key City
- "Syrian Democratic Forces Push Further South of Kobane, Secure More Villages (Dec. 25)". People's Defense Units Official Website.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "QSD Spokesman: Fifty Villages, Canals, River Crossings Secured During Military Campaign In Southern Kobane". People's Defense Units Official Website.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Four young men executed in main Manbij square
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.