Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
Toledo-Lucas County Public Library is a public library located in Toledo, Ohio. It has the fifth largest collection in the state and has been ranked by the Hennen American Public Library Rating (HALPR) as one of the top libraries in the United States.
Dating back to 1838, the library was Ohio's first public library founded using tax money. The main library on Michigan Avenue officially opened on September 5, 1940. The current system was created when the Toledo Public, Lucas County, and Sylvania Public libraries merged. In 2001, the library had a major expansion and restoration, which added 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) to an Art Deco facility.
Toledo-Lucas County Public Library is Ohio's fifth largest public library collection, because the main library holds 1.2 million reference materials, including books, DVDs, videos, and CDs. The library uses AuthorityWorks cataloging and uses Federated Search to sort all of this material, which is mostly Ohio and Michigan related. However, it also contains photographs, genealogical resource materials, periodicals, family histories, obituaries, court records, and archives from the Toledo Blade. There is a single floor layout with 750 thousand books resting on 95% open stacks.
Almost one million resources are checked out every year by over 500 thousand patrons, who can make use of the discussion groups, meeting rooms, and/or 400 free internet-ready computers.
The library has 18 branches: Birmingham Branch, Heatherdowns Branch, Holland Branch, Kent Branch, Lagrange Branch, Locke Branch, Maumee Branch, Mott Branch, Oregon Branch, Outreach Services, Point Place Branch, Reynolds Corners Branch, Sanger Branch, South Branch, Sylvania Branch, Toledo Heights Branch, Washington Branch, Waterville Branch, and West Toledo Branch.
Currently, Toledo-Lucas County Public Library is working on setting a world record for the "largest shared learning experience that involves children and adults". The system also occasionally gives tours of downtown Toledo.
- The Library Corporation: "Toledo-Lucas County Public Library Chooses Dynamic Authority Control"
- Toledo.com "Toledo Lucas County Public Libraries"
- Library Technology Guides: "Toledo-Lucas County Public Library selects Data Research system"
- Design Group: "Toledo-Lucas County Public Library - Main Library"
- WebFeat: "Toledo-Lucas County Public Library Adapts a Successful Model for Federated Search"
- Huron Valley Community Network: "Toledo Lucas County Public Library"
- Do Toledo: "Toledo-Lucas County Public Libraries"
- Toledo Blade: "Toledo Library seeks reading-record effort"
- University of Toledo Urban Affairs Center: "UAC's Downtown Toledo Walking Tours For 2008"
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.