Toledo terror plot
In February 2006, three men in Toledo, Ohio (Mohammad Zaki Amawi, Marwan Othman El-Hindi, and Wassim Mazloum) were arrested and charged with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists in Iraq and engage in violent jihad in their home town, as well as making verbal threats against the President of the United States. The investigation was conducted by the FBI and the Toledo Joint Terrorism Task Force, with the cooperation of an informant called 'The Trainer' who has a U.S. military background in security. The Cleveland FBI Special Agent in Charge C. Frank Figliuzzi and the U.S. attorney's general office credited the local Muslim and Arab-American community for passing along the information that lead to the arrest of the three terror suspects.
During a February 2006 press briefing in Washington, DC, in the presence of the Deputy Director of the FBI John Pistole, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales accused the men of educating themselves on how to make and use explosives and suicide bomb vests by downloading videos off the internet, seeking firearm training, conspiring to provide terrorist funds abroad by using Mazloum's car dealership as a cover for traveling to and from Iraq, and making verbal threats against the President of the United States.
|Wikinews has related news: Three Ohio men indicted for terrorist plot against U.S. military in Iraq|
This plot was mentioned as one of three examples of homegrown terrorism in a speech by the director of the FBI Robert Mueller on 23 June 2006 on the morning that the Miami bomb plot to attack the Sears Tower was announced.
On 15 December 2007 Mohammad Zaki and two cousins Zubair Ahmed, Khaleel Ahmed, received indictments on further terrorism charges of conspiring to kill, kidnap or maim persons outside of the United States, including US military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan, including taking weapons training, doing bodybuilding exercises and taking steroids, allegedly to prepare for attacks.
- "WTOL-TV Toledo, OH: Toledo-Area Men Arrested for Terrorist Activity". wtol.com. February 23, 2006. Archived from the original on March 16, 2006.
- "Toledo Muslim terrorists terror suspects". Toledomuslims.com. 2010-09-10. Archived from the original on 2006-04-14.
- "Prepared Remarks for Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales at the Ohio Terrorism Indictments Press Conference". US DOJ. February 21, 2006. Archived from the original on May 30, 2006.
- Robert S. Mueller, III (June 23, 2006). "Remarks Prepared for Delivery by Director Robert S. Mueller, III. Federal Bureau of Investigation. The City Club of Cleveland". FBI. Archived from the original on July 5, 2006. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "AFP: US men charged with plotting attacks". Afp.google.com. 2007-12-14. Archived from the original on 2008-06-20.
- DATA & GRAPHICS: Population Of The Communications Management Units, Margot Williams and Alyson Hurt, NPR, 3-3-11, retrieved 2011 03 04 from npr.org
- Newsnet5 in Ohio report and analysis of the incident at the Wayback Machine (archived March 10, 2007)
- Toledo Blade report on Amawi bail hearing at the Wayback Machine (archived March 12, 2007)