|11 – Tony Randazzo|
Randazzo in 2012
January 11, 1965 |
|MLB debut||August 13, 1999|
|Career highlights and awards|
He is a graduate of Lake Park High School, and was a junior college catcher at Iowa Western Community College before injuries ended his playing career. Randazzo left college and attended the Harry Wendelstedt Umpire School shortly thereafter.
Randazzo officiated in the 2001 Major League Baseball All-Star Game and the 2012 Major League Baseball All-Star Game. He also umpired the League Championship Series in 2010 and 2015, and the Division Series in 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
On July 30, 2012, Randazzo was hit in the hip after a line drive by Jesus Montero. Randazzo wasn't seriously injured and stayed in the game.
In the 2014 season, Randazzo was involved in an incident with Seattle Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon. On August 16, 2014, Randazzo ejected McClendon for arguing balls and strikes on behalf of starting pitcher Felix Hernandez. The argument followed a moment in which Randazzo granted Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera a timeout late into Hernandez' windup, which had already caused McClendon to argue that Randazzo should not have granted a timeout to begin with. Following the game, the pitch McClendon had argued was a strike was clearly displayed as a strike according to PitchF/X. McClendon also said that Randazzo's reasoning for ejecting him was because, "well, I've seen your act before." In the following day's game in which Randazzo was the third base umpire, he again ejected McClendon for allegedly throwing his arms up after disagreeing with a check swing call. The ejection drew criticism from broadcasters of the Mariners, Tigers, and the national broadcast on TBS.
Randazzo is married and has three children. Randazzo's father George is founder and chairman of the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame. His brother Marc is a Florida restaurant owner and former World Boxing Council Continental Cruiserweight Champion.
- "Tony Randazzo". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet. Retrieved May 3, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Mayer, Larry (June 23, 1992). "Umpiring is No Minor Calling". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 24, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Tony Randazzo – 11". Mlb.com. MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Retrieved May 3, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Gerry Davis named home plate ump ESPN.com. Retrieved July 3, 2012
- Jorstad, Anders. "David Price beats the M's in his first Comerica start 4-2, but not without a little help". Lookout Landing. SBNation.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Bio: George Randazzo" (PDF). Festa Italiana Seattle. Retrieved June 24, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball umpire is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|