United Nations Security Council Resolution 816
|UN Security Council
Areas of control in Bosnia and Herzegovina (1994)
|Date||31 March 1993|
|Subject||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|14 voted for
None voted against
|Security Council composition|
United Nations Security Council resolution 816, adopted on 31 March 1993, after reaffirming resolutions 781 (1992), 786 (1992) concerning a ban on military flights over Bosnia and Herzegovina and recognising the current situation in the region, the Council, acting under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, extended the ban to cover flights by all fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft over the country, and to use all measures necessary to ensure compliance with the ban.
The Council went on to note that this ban did not apply to flights destined for use by the United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR) or for humanitarian reasons. It also requested UNPROFOR to continue to monitor compliance with the ban on flights over Bosnia and Herzegovina, calling on all parties to co-operate with UNPROFOR in the monitoring process.
Addressing Member States, the Council authorised that after seven days following the adoption of Resolution 816, they should all ensure compliance with this resolution. It also urged Member States to co-operate with UNPROFOR with measures they have taken to implement the current resolution and rules of engagement, and in the event of the Co-Chairmen of the Steering Committee of the International Conference on the Former Yugoslavia notifying the Council that all the Bosnian parties have accepted their proposals on a settlement, the measures set forth in the present resolution will be subsumed into the measures for implementing that settlement.
- Breakup of Yugoslavia
- Bosnian War
- Croatian War of Independence
- List of United Nations Security Council Resolutions 801 to 900 (1993–1994)
- Yugoslav Wars
- Sarooshi, Danesh (2000). The United Nations and the development of collective security: the delegation by the UN Security Council of its Chapter VII powers. Oxford University Press. p. 268. ISBN 978-0-19-829934-9.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Dinstein, Yoram (2005). War, aggression and self-defence (4th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 312. ISBN 978-0-521-85080-3.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Russett, Bruce M.; Hurd, Ian (1997). The once and future security council. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 91. ISBN 978-0-312-16556-7.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|