United States presidential election in Mississippi, 2012
The 2012 United States presidential election in Mississippi took place on November 6, 2012 as part of the 2012 General Election in which all 50 states plus The District of Columbia participated. Mississippi voters chose six electors to represent them in the Electoral College via a popular vote pitting incumbent Democratic President Barack Obama and his running mate, Vice President Joe Biden, against Republican challenger and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and his running mate, Congressman Paul Ryan.
Romney and Ryan won Mississippi with 55.3% of the popular vote to Obama's and Biden's 43.8%, thus winning the state's six electoral votes. Mississippi was one of just six states where Obama improved on his 2008 performance. According to exit polls, the black vote share in Mississippi increased from 33% in 2008 to 36% in 2012, likely explaining Obama's gains. This was the strongest showing for a Democratic presidential candidate in Mississippi since native Southerner Bill Clinton's 44.08% in 1996.
|United States presidential election in Mississippi, 2012|
|Party||Candidate||Running mate||Votes||Percentage||Electoral votes|
|Republican||Mitt Romney||Paul Ryan||710,746||55.29%||6|
|Democratic||Barack Obama||Joe Biden||562,949||43.79%||0|
|Libertarian||Gary Johnson||Jim Gray||6,676||0.52%||0|
|Constitution||Virgil Goode||Jim Clymer||2,609||0.20%||0|
|Green||Jill Stein||Cheri Honkala||1,588||0.12%||0|
|Reform||Barbara Dale Washer||Cathy L. Toole||1,016||0.08%||0|
Results by county. Dark green indicates a county won by Santorum, purple by Gingrich, orange by Romney.
|Elections in Mississippi|
2012 U.S. Presidential Election
The Republican primary took place on March 13, 2012, the same day as the Alabama Republican primary and the Hawaii Republican caucuses. After the open election, 37 bound delegates and three unbound delegates will go to the Republican National Convention.
|Mississippi Republican primary, 2012|
|Jon Huntsman, Jr.||413||0.14%||0|
- Republican Party presidential debates, 2012
- Republican Party presidential primaries, 2012
- Results of the 2012 Republican Party presidential primaries
- Mississippi Republican Party
- "2012 Presidential Election Results - Mississippi". Retrieved 5 January 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "2012 Exit Polls - Mississippi". Retrieved 5 January 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Primary and Caucus Printable Calendar". CNN. Retrieved January 11, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Presidential Primary Dates" (PDF). Federal Election Commission. Retrieved January 23, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Mississippi Republican – The Green Papers
- "Mississippi Republican Primary - Election Results - Election 2012". The New York Times.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>