Untitled Woody Allen TV series
|Untitled Woody Allen TV series|
|Created by||Woody Allen|
|Written by||Woody Allen|
|Directed by||Woody Allen|
Becky Ann Baker
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Production company(s)||Amazon Studios
|Original network||Amazon Video|
The writer and director Woody Allen is developing a television series for Amazon Studios, to air in 2016. Allen will write and direct episodes for the half-hour series, marking the first time he has done so for a television series. It will be available exclusively on Amazon Video in the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany. Amazon has ordered a full season. Allen has said of the series, "I don't know how I got into this. I have no ideas and I'm not sure where to begin. My guess is that Roy Price [the head of Amazon Studios] will regret this."
The deal with Allen was seen as giving Amazon a possible advantage in its competition with Netflix and television networks. The series was announced within days of Amazon winning the Golden Globe Award for the comedy-drama Transparent, another Amazon original series. Allen had last written new material for television in the 1950s, when he wrote for Sid Caesar. He writes scripts in longhand and has never sent an e-mail.
In January 2016, it was announced that the series will star Allen, Elaine May and Miley Cyrus, and that shooting would begin in March. In February 2016, it was announced that John Magaro and Rachel Brosnahan had joined the cast.
Allen confirmed in May 2016 that the editing of the series was finished, and said this will be the only season of the show.
- Weinstein, Shelli (January 13, 2015). "Woody Allen to Create His First Television Series for Amazon". Variety. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Steel, Emily (January 13, 2015). "Amazon Signs Woody Allen to Write and Direct TV Series". The New York Times. Archived from the original on January 13, 2015. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Jurgensen, John (January 13, 2015). "Woody Allen to Create TV Series for Amazon Studios". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Massa, Antonia (January 13, 2015). "Amazon Signs Woody Allen to His First TV Show". Bloomberg News. Archived from the original on January 13, 2015. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Levin, Gary (January 14, 2015). "Amazon momentum builds with Woody Allen series". USA Today. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Mike Fleming Jr. "Woody Allen Cannes Interview: ‘Irrational Man’ Director On His Life & Movies - Deadline". Deadline.
- Goodman, Jessica (May 15, 2015). "Woody Allen Regrets Doing Amazon Series". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Mike Fleming Jr. "Woody Allen Amazon Series: Woody, Miley Cyrus & Elaine May To Star - Deadline". Deadline.
- Hipes, Patrick (February 24, 2016). "John Magaro & Rachel Brosnahan Join Woody Allen’s Amazon Series". Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- Galloway, Stephen (May 4, 2016). "The Woody Allen Interview (Which He Won't Read)". Retrieved May 4, 2016.