Van Buren Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Van Buren Township, Darke County, Ohio|
Schoolhouse in the township's northeast
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||25.4 sq mi (65.7 km2)|
|• Land||25.4 sq mi (65.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,033 ft (315 m)|
|• Density||58/sq mi (22.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086024|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Adams Township - north
- Franklin Township - east
- Monroe Township - southeast corner
- Twin Township - south
- Butler Township - southwest corner
- Neave Township - west
- Greenville Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Van Buren Township.
Name and history
Van Buren Township was created in June 1838 and reduced by the formation of Franklin Township in June of the following year. It is probable that the township's first settlers arrived in 1818.:591 Over thirty years passed between the first settlement and the foundation of the first churches; the United Brethren and Methodist Episcopal churches were established in 1850.:592
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Tim Warner, David Delk, and Jed Smith, and the fiscal officer in Kent Thompson.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Patterson township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Wilson, Frazer Ells (1914). History of Darke County, Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time, Vol. 1. Milford, Ohio: Hobart Publishing Company.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 451.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.