|Steve Fisher Court|
|Cox Arena at Aztec Bowl|
|Former names||Cox Arena at Aztec Bowl (1997–2009)|
|Location||5500 Canyon Crest Drive
San Diego, California 92115
|Public transit||SDSU Transit Center|
|Owner||San Diego State University|
|Operator||San Diego State University
Associated Students of SDSU
12,845 (center stage concerts)
12,200 (end stage concerts)
|Broke ground||March 27, 1995|
|Opened||July 24, 1997|
|Construction cost||$29 million
($42.7 million in 2018 dollars)
|Architect||Sink Combs Dethlefs
|Services engineer||M-E Engineers, Inc.|
|General contractor||Blake Construction Co., Inc|
|San Diego State Aztecs (NCAA) (1997–present)
San Diego Shockwave (NIFL) (2007)
Bound for Glory (2013)
Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl (formerly named Cox Arena), located on the San Diego State University (SDSU) campus in San Diego, California, is the home of the San Diego State Aztecs men's basketball and women's basketball teams. Viejas Arena opened its doors to the campus and community in July 1997 and seats 12,414 for basketball and up to 12,845 for concerts. The facility also hosts SDSU's commencement ceremonies. Previously, the Aztecs played at Peterson Gymnasium also on the SDSU campus. However, the men's basketball team played most of their home games at the San Diego Sports Arena prior to Viejas Arena's construction.
Viejas Arena was built on the site of the old Aztec Bowl football stadium (a Works Progress Administration project) on the SDSU campus, and the university (or its affiliated corporation) still owns the arena. It was originally named Cox Arena after Cox Communications, which owns one of the local cable television systems in the greater San Diego regional area, and which paid fees to become the arena's corporate sponsor. The arena was renamed to Viejas Arena under a 10-year naming rights agreement announced March 17, 2009. The naming rights agreement with the Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians went into effect July 1 and will pay the university about $6 million over the next 10 years.
Viejas Arena hosted the men's NCAA basketball tournament first and second rounds in 2001, 2006 and 2014. In the 2006 tourney, the first-round games were delayed and the building evacuated due to a bomb-sniffing dog picking up scents of a potentially dangerous substance. These fears were unfounded, however, and play went on as scheduled. Because of its status as SDSU's home court, the Aztecs were not allowed to open the tournament at home (under "pod system" rules).
Viejas Arena is also used as a large concert venue where major acts perform, including the Foo Fighters, Janet Jackson, A Day To Remember, Linkin Park, Metallica, Van Halen, Green Day, Rise Against, Lady Gaga, One Direction, Tool, and Drake. The arena is often used as an alternative to the much larger Valley View Casino Center (the former Sports Arena) across town.
The arena hosted TNA Wrestling's Bound For Glory 2013 pay-per-view event on October 20, 2013. Lady Gaga performed at Viejas Arena on her artRAVE: The ARTPOP Ball Tour, on June 2, 2014. Actress and singer Ariana Grande will perform at the arena on her Honeymoon Tour in 2015. The Who will performing at Viejas Arena as part of their The Who Hits 50! tour in 2015.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Raker-Beam Construction Requires Rugged Steel Forms
- M-E Engineers Projects - Sports (archived)
- Wesch, Hank (July 25, 1997). "It's an Arena. SDSU Shows Off New Baby". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 13, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Viejas Arena at goaztecs.cstv.com, URL accessed November 24, 2009. Archived 11/24/09
- SDSU and Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians Agree on Arena Naming Rights at sdsuniverse.info, URL accessed November 24, 2009. Archived 11/24/09
- The Reno Report: SDSU Basketball Re-enters the Arena at eastcountymagazine.com, URL accessed November 24, 2009. Archived 11/24/09
- (10) Alabama 90, (7) Marquette 85 at sports.espn.go.com, URL accessed November 24, 2009. Archived 11/24/09
- It's simple: The pod system is a failure at nbcsports.msnbc.com, URL accessed November 24, 2009. Archived 11/24/09
- Stadiums in the United States at worldstadiums.com, URL accessed November 24, 2009. Archived 11/24/09
|Events and tenants|
Grand Canyon University Arena
|Host of Bound for Glory
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.