Volcano mine system
The M-136 Volcano mine system is a US automated, scattered mine delivery system designed to lay a field of up to 960 mines (160 canisters) at an average density of 0.9 mines per meter front. The system is designed to be mounted on and powered by the following vehicles.
- 5 ton cargo/dump truck such as the M939 Truck
- M977 Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT)
- UH-60 Blackhawk
These mines have three self-destruct settings varying from 4 Hours, 12 Hours, or 48 Hours.
Types of mines contained by the canister:
- M-87 Canister : 1 AP (anti-personnel)mine and 5 AT (anti-tank) mines per canister
- M-87A1 Canister: 6 AT (anti-tank) mines
- Major Mark T. Kimmitt (1988-11-18). "Rethinking FASCAM" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-08-13.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- United States Army Corps of Engineer Basic Officer Course