W. Richard Stevens
|William Richard (Rich) Stevens|
February 5, 1951|
Luanshya, Northern Rhodesia
|Died||September 1, 1999
Tucson, Arizona, United States
|Known for||Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, TCP/IP Illustrated, UNIX Network Programming|
Richard Stevens was born in 1951 in Luanshya, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), where his father worked for the copper industry. The family later moved to Salt Lake City, Hurley, New Mexico, Washington, D.C. and Phalaborwa, South Africa. Stevens attended Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Virginia. He received a bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan in 1973 and both a master's degree (in 1978) and PhD (in 1982) in Systems Engineering from the University of Arizona. He moved to Tucson in 1975 where he was employed at Kitt Peak National Observatory as a computer programmer until 1982. From 1982 until 1990 he was Vice President of Computing Services at Health Systems International in New Haven, Connecticut. Stevens moved back to Tucson in 1990 where he pursued his career as an author and consultant. He was also an avid pilot and a part-time flight instructor during the 1970s.
- 1990 - UNIX Network Programming - ISBN 0-13-949876-1
- 1992 - Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment - ISBN 0-201-56317-7
- 1994 - TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols - ISBN 0-201-63346-9
- 1995 - TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2: The Implementation (with Gary R. Wright) - ISBN 0-201-63354-X
- 1996 - TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 3: TCP for Transactions, HTTP, NNTP, and the UNIX Domain Protocols - ISBN 0-201-63495-3
- 1998 - UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1, Second Edition: Networking APIs: Sockets and XTI - ISBN 0-13-490012-X
- 1999 - UNIX Network Programming, Volume 2, Second Edition: Interprocess Communications - ISBN 0-13-081081-9
- 2003 - UNIX Network Programming Volume 1, Third Edition: The Sockets Networking API - ISBN 0-13-141155-1 (with Bill Fenner, and Andrew M. Rudoff)
- 2005 - Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Second Edition - ISBN 0-321-52594-9 (with Stephen A. Rago)
- 2011 - TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols (2nd Edition) - ISBN 0-321-33631-3 (with Kevin R. Fall)
- 2013 - Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Third Edition - ISBN 0-321-63773-9 (with Stephen A. Rago)
- Stevens, W. R., and Thomas, M. 1998. "Advanced Sockets API for IPv6," RFC 2292
- Gilligan, R. E., Thomson, S., Bound, J., and Stevens, W. R. 1999. "Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6," RFC 2553
- Allman, M., Paxson, V., Stevens, W. R. 1999. "TCP Congestion Control," RFC 2581
- "Pearson Technology Group – Advanced Programming in the UNIX® Environment 1/e". Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- "Usenet post of obituary". Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- "Winners of the USENIX Lifetime Achievement Award". Retrieved February 6, 2014.