Waste collection is a part of the process of waste management. It is the transfer of solid waste from the point of use and disposal to the point of treatment or landfill. Waste collection also includes the curbside collection of recyclable materials that technically are not waste, as part of a municipal landfill diversion program.
Mexico City residents must haul their trash to a waste collection vehicle which makes frequent stops around each neighborhood. The waste collectors will indicate their readiness by ringing a distinctive bell and possibly shouting. Residents line up and hand their trash container to the waste collector. A tip may be expected in some neighborhoods. Private contractors waste collectors may circulate in the same neighborhoods as many as five times per day, pushing a cart with a waste container, ringing a bell and shouting to announce their presence. These private contractors are not paid a salary, and survive only on the tips they receive. Later, they meet up with a waste collection vehicle to deposit their accumulated waste.
The waste collection vehicle will often take the waste to a transfer station where it will be loaded up into a larger vehicle and sent to either a landfill or alternative waste treatment facility.
Waste collection considerations include type and size of bins, positioning of the bins, and how often bins are to be serviced. Overfilled bins result in rubbish falling out while being tipped. Hazardous rubbish like empty petrol cans can cause fires igniting other trash when the truck compactor is operating. Bins may be locked or stored in secure areas to avoid having non-paying parties placing rubbish in the bin.
Employment as Garbage collector
According to USNews
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that employment in this industry will increase 16.2 percent, adding 21,600 new jobs, by 2022. The main drivers of this growth include a rise in population, individual income and more people choosing to recycle.
- History of waste management
- Automated vacuum collection
- Beach cleaner
- Dempster Brothers (manufacturer of Dempster Dinosaur and Dempster Dumpmaster waste collection vehicles)
- List of waste management acronyms
- Mercedes-Benz Econic
- Waste bin
- Waste sorting
- Mexico City vows to green garbage dumps - World news - World environment | NBC News
- "Waste Management FAQ". 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>