Wayne Township, Michigan
|Wayne Township, Michigan|
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||34.8 sq mi (90.2 km2)|
|• Land||34.2 sq mi (88.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Density||77/sq mi (29.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627233|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.8 square miles (90.2 km2), of which 34.2 square miles (88.7 km2) is land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2), or 1.62%, is water.
- Glenwood is an unincorporated community in the northeastern part of the township. It was originally known as "Tietsort's Crossing". When a railroad station was opened here in 1865 it was named "Tietsort's". Shortly afterward a post office under the name of "Model City" was established here. In 1873 it was renamed "Glenwood". It was platted in 1874.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,861 people, 1,007 households, and 777 families residing in the township. The population density was 83.5 per square mile (32.2/km²). There were 1,231 housing units at an average density of 35.9 per square mile (13.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 92.42% White, 2.10% African American, 1.36% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 2.10% from other races, and 1.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.64% of the population.
There were 1,007 households out of which 34.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.7% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.8% were non-families. 19.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 103.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $42,816, and the median income for a family was $42,936. Males had a median income of $36,012 versus $23,973 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,621. About 6.6% of families and 10.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.7% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wayne Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Wayne township, Cass County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 29, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 226