Wentworth Beaumont, 1st Viscount Allendale
|The Right Honourable
The Viscount Allendale
DL JP PC
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard|
29 April 1907 – 2 October 1911
|Prime Minister||Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman
H. H. Asquith
|Preceded by||The Earl Waldegrave|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Craven|
|Born||2 December 1860
Bywell Hall, Northumberland
|Died||12 December 1923
|Spouse(s)||Lady Alexandrina Louisa Maud Vane-Tempest|
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Wentworth Canning Blackett Beaumont, 1st Viscount Allendale PC, JP, DL (2 December 1860 – 12 December 1923), styled The Honourable Wentworth Beaumont between 1906 and 1907, was a British Liberal politician.
Background and education
Beaumnont was born at Bywell Hall, Northumberland, the son of Wentworth Beaumont, 1st Baron Allendale, by his first wife Lady Margaret Anne de Burgh, daughter of Ulick de Burgh, 1st Marquess of Clanricarde, and his wife the Honourable Harriet Canning, daughter of George Canning. He was baptised in London. He attended Eton and graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge with an MA in 1888.
Beaumont was Member of Parliament for Hexham from 1895 to 1907 and served under Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household from 1905 to February 1907, when he succeeded his father in the barony of Allendale. He was appointed Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard in April 1907 and was sworn of the Privy Council the following month. On 5 July 1911 he was created Viscount Allendale, of Allendale and Hexham in the County of Northumberland, and from October of that year to 1916 he was a Lord-in-Waiting under H. H. Asquith. Beaumont was also appointed a deputy lieutenant of Northumberland in September 1901.
Lord Allendale married Lady Alexandrina Vane-Tempest, daughter of George Vane-Tempest, 5th Marquess of Londonderry, on 12 November 1889. They had six children:
- Wentworth Henry Canning Beaumont, 2nd Viscount Allendale (6 August 1890 – 16 December 1956).
- Hon. Margaret Helen Beaumont (13 November 1892 – 10 June 1958), married the 5th Earl Fortescue and had issue.
- Hon. Aline Mary de Burgh Beaumont (23 April 1895 – 15 April 1967).
- Hon. Diane Beaumont (1896–31 January 1897).
- Hon. Ralph Edward Blackett Beaumont (12 February 1901 – 18 September 1977).
- Hon. Agatha Violet Beaumont (26 December 1903 – 15 January 1994).
- Montague-Smith, P.W. (ed.), Debrett's Peerage, Baronetage, Knightage and Companionage, Kelly's Directories Ltd, Kingston-upon-Thames, 1968, p.56
- "Beaumont, Wentworth Canning Blackett (BMNT879WC)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The London Gazette: . 4 August 1911. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 6 September 1901.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Allendale
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Members of Parliament for Hexham
Richard Durning Holt
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household
The Earl Waldegrave
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
The Earl of Craven
The Lord Hamilton of Dalzell
The Lord Kenyon
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Viscount Allendale
Wentworth Henry Canning Beaumont
Wentworth Blackett Beaumont