Wright with the Tampa Bay Rays in 2013
|Boston Red Sox|
January 28, 1985 |
|March 31, 2008, for the Houston Astros|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||4.16|
Dequam LaWesley Wright (born January 28, 1985) is an American professional baseball relief pitcher in the Boston Red Sox organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros, Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago Cubs, Baltimore Orioles, and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Los Angeles Dodgers
He made his professional debut with the Ogden Raptors in the Pioneer League in 2004 and played for the Columbus Catfish and Vero Beach Dodgers in 2005. With Columbus, he pitched in 30 games and accumulated a 1.93 era as a relief pitcher.
In December 2007, he was selected by the Houston Astros in the major league portion of rule 5 draft from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Wright made the Astros 2008 opening day roster as the only left-handed pitcher in the bullpen. On March 31, 2008, Wright made his major league debut against the San Diego Padres and pitched 1/3 of a scoreless inning. Wright collected his first major league win on April 4, 2008, against the Chicago Cubs after pitching 1/3 of a scoreless inning again. He collected his first major league save on July 29, 2008, against the Cincinnati Reds coming in during 9th inning with two outs, and recorded the final out of the game for the save.
On July 16, 2009, Wright was called in to pitch in a game against the Cubs in the second inning after starter Roy Oswalt was forced from the game by a strained back. Wright batted in the top of the third inning and singled to left field for his first Major League hit. Later that night, it was reported that he was rushed to the hospital after showing signs of appendicitis. He was diagnosed with dehydration.
Tampa Bay Rays
On August 12, 2013 he was traded to the Tampa Bay Rays for cash considerations. With Tampa Bay, Wright made his playoff debut in 2013, appearing in two games of the Rays' ALDS matchup with the Boston Red Sox. After the season, Wright was non-tendered by Tampa Bay, making him a free agent.
On December 4, 2013 he agreed to a one-year, $1.425 million deal to pitch for the Chicago Cubs. The contract became official on December 16, 2013. He was non-tendered by the Cubs on December 2, 2014.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
On July 29, 2015, Wright signed a minor league deal with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Boston Red Sox
- Rays Acquire Wesley Wright
- Twitter / RaysBaseball: #Rays have two non-tenders before tonight's deadline: OF Sam Fuld and LHP Wesley Wright. Both players are now free agents.
- Cubs, left-handed pitcher Wesley Wright agree to terms on 2014 contract. MLB.com. Retrieved on December 4, 2013.
- "Orioles LHP Wesley Wright designated for assignment". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 15, 2015. Retrieved July 16, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Todd, Jeff (March 28, 2016). "Diamondbacks Release Sam LeCure, Wesley Wright". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 28, 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Wesley Wright signs minor league deal with Red Sox
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wesley Wright.|