|Native to||Belgium, Netherlands, France|
|1.4 million (1998)|
vls – (West) Vlaams
zea – Zealandic (Zeeuws)
West Flemish (Dutch: West-Vlaams, French: flamand occidental, West Flemish: West-Vlams/West-Vloams), "Flemish" in the linguistic sense, is a language spoken in western Belgium and adjoining parts of the Netherlands and France. It is generally considered a dialect of Dutch but is hardly comprehensible to speakers of the Dutch dialects of Antwerp and Amsterdam.
West Flemish is spoken by 1.07 million people in West Flanders (in Belgium), 120,000 in the neighbouring Dutch coastal district of Zeelandic Flanders (and another 220,000 if Zealandic is included), and 10,000 in the northern part of the French département of Nord. Some of the main cities where West Flemish is widely spoken are Bruges, Kortrijk, Ostend, Roeselare, and Ypres. The dialects of the rest of the Dutch province of Zeeland, Zeelandic, are often included in West Flemish; these are part of a dialect continuum which proceeds further north into Hollandic.
|This article is a part of a series on|
|Dutch Low Saxon dialects|
|West Low Franconian dialects|
|East Low Franconian dialects|
West Flemish phonology differs a lot from the standard Dutch phonology.
- The (pre-)velar fricatives /x, ɣ/ are realised as glottal [h, ɦ].
- /ɛi/ is realised as [ɨ].
- /œy/ is realised as [ʉ].
- /ʌu/ is realised as [ɯ].
- /ɛ/ is realised as [æ].
- (West) Vlaams at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
Zealandic (Zeeuws) at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Nordhoff, Sebastian; Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2013). "Vlaams / West Vlaams". Glottolog. Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Nordhoff, Sebastian; Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2013). "Zeeuws". Glottolog. Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- RL Trask, "Number of Languages", in Language and Linguistics: The Key Concepts, 2nd ed. 2007
- UNESCO.org Archived November 12, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Debrabandere, Frans (1999), "Kortrijk", in Kruijsen, Joep; van der Sijs, Nicoline (eds.), Honderd Jaar Stadstaal (PDF), Uitgeverij Contact, pp. 289–299<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Flemish language.|
|West-Vlams edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|This Indo-European languages-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|