William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick
William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick (1237–1298) was an English nobleman and soldier, described as a “vigorous and innovative military commander”. He was active in the field against the Welsh for many years, and at the end of his life campaigned against the Scots.
He became hereditary High Sheriff of Worcestershire for life on the death of his father in 1268.
He was a close friend of Edward I of England, and was an important leader in Edward's invasion of Wales in 1277. In 1294 he raised the siege of Conwy Castle, where the King had been penned in, crossing the estuary. He was victorious on 5 March 1295 at the battle of Maes Moydog, against the rebel prince of Wales Madog ap Llywelyn. In a night attack on the Welsh infantry, he used cavalry to drive them into compact formations, which were then shot up by his archers, and charged.
His father was William de Beauchamp of Elmley Castle and his mother Isabel Mauduit, sister and heiress of William Mauduit, 8th Earl of Warwick, from whom he inherited his title in 1268. He had a sister, Sarah, who married Richard Talbot.
He married Maud FitzJohn. Their children included:
- Isabella de Beauchamp, married firstly, Sir Patrick de Chaworth and, secondly, Hugh le Despenser, 1st Earl of Winchester
- Guy de Beauchamp, 10th Earl of Warwick, who married Alice de Toeni, widow of Thomas de Leyburne
- Barfield, Sebastian. "Chapter 1 - The Beauchamp family to 1369". The Beauchamp Earls of Warwick, 1298-1369. Retrieved 5 November 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- F. M. Powicke, The Thirteenth Century (1962 edition), p. 409.
- Osprey Publishing - The Castles of Edward I in Wales 1277–1307
- Welsh Castles - Conwy Castle
- T. F. Tout, The History of England From the Accession of Henry III. to the Death of Edward III (1216-1377) , online.
- R. R. Davies, The Age of Conquest: Wales 1063-1415 (1991), p. 383.
- Powicke, p. 442-3.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 10687 § 106863 - Person Page 10687". The Peerage. External link in
|publisher=(help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[unreliable source?]
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 2648 § 26478 page". The Peerage. External link in
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Warwick
Guy de Beauchamp