2004 in the European Union
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Years in the European Union:||2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007|
Events from the year 2004 in the European Union.
- Commission President - Romano Prodi (to 22 November) - José Manuel Barroso, People's Party
- Council Presidency - Ireland (January–June) and Netherlands (July-December)
- Parliament President - Pat Cox, ELDR Party (to 30 July). Josep Borrell, Socialists
- High Representative - Javier Solana, Socialists
- 1 May: 2004 Enlargement.
- 10–13 June: European Parliament election, 2004 expanding the Commission.
- 22 July; Parliament approves José Manuel Barroso as President.
- 1 November: Original date for Barroso to enter office delayed due to parliamentary opposition to some of his Commissioners. A new college is later submitted.
- 18 November: Parliament approves the Barroso Commission.
- 22 November: Barroso Commission took office.