Bishop of Richborough
The position was created in 1995 and licensed by the Archbishop of Canterbury as a "flying bishop" to provide episcopal oversight for parishes throughout the province which cannot in good conscience accept the sacramental ministry of bishops who have participated in the ordination of women. The title takes its name from Richborough, a settlement north of Sandwich in Kent. In the southern province, the Bishops of Ebbsfleet and of Richborough each minister in thirteen of the 40 dioceses. The Bishop of Richborough serves the eastern half (Canterbury, Chelmsford, Chichester, Ely, Guildford, St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, Leicester, Lincoln, Norwich, Peterborough, Portsmouth, St Albans and Winchester). Prior to the creation of the see in 1995, the Bishop of Ebbsfleet served the entire area of the Province of Canterbury with the exceptions of the Dioceses of London, Rochester and Southwark which came under the oversight of the Bishop of Fulham.
On 31 December 2010, Keith Newton resigned as the Bishop of Richborough and soon afterwards was received into the Roman Catholic Church. On 5 May 2011, Norman Banks was announced as the bishop-designate for the position. He was subsequently consecrated bishop on 16 June 2011.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Richborough|
|20 July 1995||2001||Edwin Barnes SSC||Became a Roman Catholic on 21 January 2011|
|7 March 2002||31 December 2010||Keith Newton SSC||Resigned to become a Roman Catholic|
|16 June 2011||present||Norman Banks SSC||Previously Vicar of Walsingham, Houghton and Barsham in the Diocese of Norwich|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Richborough Episcopal Area – Directory
- Daily Telegraph, 16 May 2011
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Richborough
- Suffragan See of Richborough. Retrieved 10 June 2008.
- Virtue Online — UK: Two New Provincial Episcopal Visitors Announced
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|