C. B. Bucknor
|54 – C. B. Bucknor|
Bucknor in 2012
August 23, 1962 |
|MLB debut||April 4, 1996|
|Career highlights and awards|
In a 2003 Sports Illustrated survey of 550 active major league players, Bucknor was voted as the worst umpire in MLB, with 20.7% of the vote. In an updated 2006 SI survey, Bucknor was again voted MLB's worst umpire, with 21% of the players' votes. In a 2010 ESPN survey of 100 active players taken after Jim Joyce's blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game, Bucknor was again named the worst umpire in baseball (while Joyce was named the best).
On May 1, 2012, Bucknor suffered an undisclosed injury during a game between the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Cardinals and was forced to leave the contest. He was listed as "day-to-day" following the injury and was replaced by minor league call-up umpire D.J. Reyburn the following day.
On July 12, 2013, Bucknor was injured and left an Oakland A's/Boston Red Sox game when he was hit in the facemask by a 92-mile per hour pitch thrown by Jarrod Parker after it first grazed Daniel Nava.
Bucknor resides in Brooklyn, New York. He works with the Bonnie Youth Club in Brooklyn and was inducted into the Bonnies Hall of Fame in 2000 as well as the Cortland Athletic Hall of Fame in October 2002. Bucknor is actively involved with teaching baseball to children in Jamaica. He also collects toys and helps to organize an annual "Treat Day"—a holiday party, featuring athletic events, video games and picnics—for over 300 children in Jamaica. In 2008, he was inducted into the Brooklyn Parade Ground Baseball League Hall of Fame.
- "Sports Illustrated's 2003 player survey". Sports Illustrated. July 2, 2003.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Sports Illustrated's 2006 player survey". Sports Illustrated. June 20, 2006. Retrieved April 28, 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Jim Joyce tops survey; players nix replay ESPN
- Justin Verlander walks one in near-perfect no-hitter ESPN.com. Retrieved July 27, 2012
- "Injuries: CB Bucknor, Ed Hickox Struck in HSMs." Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. July 13, 2013.
- "CB Bucknor Day-to-Day After Leaving Tuesday's Game." Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. May 2, 2012.
- Umpire CB Bucknor leaves after he's hit by pitch FoxSports.com. Retrieved July 13, 2013
- "MLB.com Umpire profile page".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "UEFL Profile of MLB Umpire: CB Bucknor." Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. October 1, 2013.