|Part of the Politics series on|
The Freechild Project is a nonprofit organization focused on creating connections between adults and young people through programs, technical assistance, publications, training, and curriculum. Adam Fletcher is the director, and the project is located in Olympia, Washington. The School Library Journal has said Freechild's website is, "By far the largest repository of projects, ideas, and organizational links, this resource provides more than adequate information to help students brainstorm ideas in order to start their own initiatives."
The mission of Freechild is "to advocate, inform, and celebrate social change led by and with young people around the world, particularly those who have been historically denied the right to participate. The Freechild Project provides examples and resources to youth and their adult allies." The group advocates "radical democracy."
The Freechild Project believes it is completely unethical to exclude young people from participating in the actions that affect them most. Their projects include service-learning, topic-specific workshops and activist group incubation. The group consults with local and national nonprofit groups in strategic planning, capacity building and product development with youth empowerment at the center of their priorities. They also perform networking services through conferences and online communications.
The organization is coordinated by one full-time staff member, offers activities through a network of trainers, and is advised by youth and adult experts from across the US. The website SoundOut.org is one of their projects. The director of Freechild also talks with the media about youth.
- Mullahey, R. (2007) "The FreeChild Project: Youth-led Social Change", American Planning Association. Retrieved 17 June 2008.[dead link]
- "Web Site Reviews: September, 2005", School Library Journal. Retrieved 17 June 2008.[dead link]
- "The Youth Voice Movement: A New Vision for the Future, or a Lost Dream of the Past?" National Youth Leadership Council. Retrieved 17 June 2008.[dead link]
- "About Us", The Freechild Project website. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- David E. Lowes. (2006) The Anti-Capitalist Dictionary: Movements, Histories, & Motivations. p 235.
- "Youth and the Web: Adam Fletcher from the Free Child Project". Netsquared, a project of TechSoup.org. Retrieved 17 June 2008.[dead link]
- "Freechild Project." MediaRights.org. Retrieved 17 June 2008.[dead link]
- "Youth organizing and school reform." WhatKidsCanDo.org. Retrieved 17 June 2008.
- Bohan, Suzanne. (16 November 2006) "Youth community activists size up a toxic threat." Oakland Tribune. Retrieved 17 July 2008.
- James, Geofferey. "The Teen Ticket: Are Teenagers Old Enough to Vote?" Edutopia. Retrieved 17 July 2008.[dead link]