List of Argentine football national cups
Since the creation of the first league in 1891, several cups have been played in Argentina apart from the main competition, the Primera División championship. The first cup held in the country was the Copa de Honor Municipalidad de Buenos Aires; launched in 1905, it was played until 1920.
The Copa Campeonato, originally awarded to Primera División champion, is the oldest trophy of Argentine football for a current competition, having been established in 1896, three year after the Association was created, and played without interruption until 1926. The Cup received several names, such as "Championship Cup", "Copa Campeonato", "Challenge Cup" and "Copa Alumni", due to the association offered legendary team Alumni to keep the Cup definitely for having won it three consecutive times (1900–02), but the club from Belgrano declined the honour to keep the trophy under dispute.
On June, 2013, the association decided to put the trophy back into circulation with the creation of a new competition, named "Superfinal" that consisted in a single match between winners of Torneo Inicial and Torneo Final, played in a neutral venue.
Titles by club
Copa de Honor.JPG
Copa pedro ramirez.jpg
Copa Competencia Britanica.jpg
- Recognized as champion due to the other finalist, Argentino de Quilmes, had disjoined the FAF.
- River Plate and Liga Cultural drew 1-1 the final match but the playoff was never played. Nevertheless, the Association awarded River Plate the title.
- There was no final match and Huracán was declared champion.
- The association awarded Central Córdoba the championship after Racing Club players abandoned the match in disagreement with referee's rulings.
- Since this edition the Superfinal was homologated as a separate competition, not counting as a Primera División title.
- Memoria y Balance 1935 - Argentine Football Association Library
- "El trofeo más añejo del fútbol argentino" at AFA website, 26 Jun 2013
- Argentina - Domestic Cup History on RSSSF
- Orígenes de la Asociación on AFA website
- "Presentaron Superfinal Vélez-Newell's" ESPN
- "Una Copa con mucha historia", Diario Uno, 27 Jun 2013
- Campeones de Copas Nacionales on AFA website
- Argentina - Concurso por Eliminación 1914
- Copa Ibarguren 1952
- "La AFA homologó la Superfinal de River como una Copa Nacional" on CanchaLlena.com