Marathon Sports (retailer)
|File:Marathon Sports logo.gif|
|Founded||Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States)|
Number of locations
|19 (12 Marathon Sports, 4 Sound Runner, 3 Runner's Alley)|
|Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island|
|Products||Running/Walking Footwear and Athletic Apparel|
|Footnotes / references
Marathon Sports, Inc. is an American chain of sporting goods retailers. It is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts, and operates 12 stores in Massachusetts under the Marathon Sports brand, locations in Connecticut operating under the SoundRunner brand and three locations in New Hampshire operating under the Runner's Alley brand. The chain mainly sells running/walking footwear and athletic apparel.
In a joint venture between Marathon Sports, the Boston Athletic Association and athletic supplier Adidas, a 2,000 sq ft (190 m2) Boston Marathon museum, locker room, and retail store was built just blocks from the marathon finish line. Historic relics displayed include clothing and shoes worn by runners and a second-place medal from the first Boston Marathon in 1897. The store is managed and staffed by Marathon Sports and features clothing, shoes, and other products from Adidas. This new retail concept was planned to become a community hub for runners who are traveling to the city and for runners who live and work in the city.
Boston Marathon bombing
On Patriots' Day, April 15, 2013, the 117th annual Boston Marathon was stuck by two pressure cooker bombs, with the first exploding outside the Marathon Sports store located at 671–673 Boylston Street at 2:49:43 pm EDT. Employees of the store provided first aid to some of the bombing victims by using clothing as make-shift tourniquets. Staff members and customers also testified at the bombing trial in 2015.
- Voted one of the 50 best running stores in America for 2012 and 2015
- Multi-year winner of the "Best of Boston" in the category "Running Shop"
- None (1982). BusinessWeek, Issues 2750-2758. McGraw-Hill. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Walker, Jim (22 August 2012). "Marathon Sports moving headquarters, warehouse to Moody Street, Waltham". Brand New Watch. GateHouse Media, Inc. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Annual Report Marathon Sports, Inc. 2014". Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Smith, Steve (2015-12-07). "SoundRunner To Appeal To Fit Locals". Hartford Courant. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Woodward, Curt (2015-09-18). "Deal-hunting startup ShoeKicker raises eyebrows in boutique running sector". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
The company continues to grow, recently doubling its Sound Runner stores in Connecticut to four locations, along with the 11 Marathon Sports stores in Massachusetts.
- Alden, Doug (2016-01-24). "Manchester's Collector's Heaven has new owner". New Hampshire Union Leader. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
Peddie, who also owns New Hampshire-based Runner’s Alley, plans to move the Manchester Runner’s Alley from its current leased spot on Hanover Street to the new location this spring.
- Luna, Taryn; Borchers, Callum (2015-04-02). "Boston Marathon to open new ‘front door’ on Boylston". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Malamut, Melissa (2015-04-02). "Adidas and B.A.A. to Open New Store Concept Called ‘RunBase’". Boston (magazine). Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Abel, David; Silva, Steve; Finucane, Martin (2013-04-15). "Explosions rock Boston Marathon finish line; dozens injured". Boston Globe (online ed.). Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Hughes, Lisa (2013-04-17). "Marathon Sports Employee Details Horror Of Boston Bombings". WBZ-TV. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Germano, Beth (2015-03-04). "New Video Shows Chaos After Boston Marathon Bombing". WBZ-TV. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- "The 50 Best Running Stores in America for 2012". Competitor magazine. Competitor Group, Inc. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- "The 50 Best Running Stores in America for 2015". Competitor magazine. Competitor Group, Inc. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- "Best of Boston, Shopping". Boston Magazine. Metrocorp, Inc. July 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Best of Boston 2007 Running Gear". Boston Magazine. Metrocorp, Inc. 2007. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
|This article about retailing is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This sports-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This Massachusetts-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|