|Comune di Usellus|
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Oristano (OR)|
|• Mayor||Felice Atzori|
|• Total||35.10 km2 (13.55 sq mi)|
|Elevation||289 m (948 ft)|
|Population (December 2004)|
|• Density||27/km2 (69/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 993 and an area of 35.1 square kilometres (13.6 sq mi).
Usellus is in the interior of Sardinia, about 25 kilometres (16 mi) from the Gulf of Oristano on the west coast, and the same distance south of Forum Trajani (modern Fordongianus). Its name is not found in the Itineraries, and the only ancient author who mentions it is Ptolemy, who erroneously places it on the west coast of the island: but the existing ruins, together with the continuity of the name, leave no doubt of its true situation. It is about 5 kilometres (3 mi) northeast of the modern town of Ales.
Ptolemy styles it a colonia, and this is confirmed by an inscription on a bronze tablet of 158 CE (a tabula patronatus, setting forth that M. Aristius Balbinus had accepted the position of patron of the town for himself and his heirs) that speaks of the place as Colonia Julia Augusta Uselis. It would hence appear probable that the colony must have been founded under Augustus, though Pliny asserts that Turris Libisonis (modern Porto Torres) was the only colony in Sardinia at his time (79 CE, hence after Augustus' reign) It may be that civic rights were obtained from Augustus.
Circa 590 AD a Latin bishopric was established as Diocese of Uselli. Only its last bishops are known :
- Pello (1147 – 1155)
- Mauro (1155 – 1182?)
- The ruins of the church of Santa Reparata have been conserved. It marks the site of the ancient town, and various antiquities have been found there.
- Richard Talbert, Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World, (ISBN 0-691-03169-X), Map 48.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Ptolemy, iii. 3. § 2
- Pliny the Elder, H.N. iii.85
- De la Marmora, Voy. en Sardaigne, vol. ii. pp. 367, 466.
- Mommsen, Corp. Inscr. Lat. x. p. 816
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Usellis". Encyclopædia Britannica. 27 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 809https://archive.org/stream/encyclopaediabri27chisrich#page/809/mode/1up.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "IterrCost - Church of Santa Reparata". Retrieved April 2014. Check date values in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Usellus.|
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "article name needed". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- GCatholic - Diocese with incumbent bio links
|This Sardinia location article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|