Winterville, North Carolina
|Winterville, North Carolina|
|Nickname(s): Dub-V; WV; Pinebelt Boomtown|
|Motto: "A slice of the good life!"|
|Location of Winterville, North Carolina
Location of Winterville, North Carolina
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Mayor||Douglas A. Jackson|
|• Total||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||69 ft (21 m)|
|• Density||1,954.1/sq mi (754.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0997503|
Winterville is located at Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. (35.529934, -77.400021).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), all of it land.
As of 2010, there were 10,791 people, 1,848 households, and 1,371 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,954.1 people per square mile (755.0/km²). There were 1,937 housing units at an average density of 790.0 per square mile (305.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 59.24% White, 38.36% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.81% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 0.40% from other races, and 0.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.02% of the population.
There were 1,848 households out of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.6% were married couples living together, 17.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.8% were non-families. 22.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 34.3% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 84.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,230, and the median income for a family was $47,167. Males had a median income of $36,004 versus $30,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,810. About 10.3% of families and 11.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.4% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Pitt Community College
- W.H. Robinson Elementary School
- A.G. Cox Middle School
- South Central High School
- Brookhaven Christian School
- Christ Covenant School
- Creekside Elementary
Parks and Recreation
Winterville Parks and Recreation has 4 baseball fields, an amphitheater for concerts and Movie in the Park events it also features a mile long trail around the park. Winterville Baseball is part of The Cal Ripken League and has succeeded in All-Star tournaments over the last decade.
In recent years, the town of Winterville has experienced major growth both residentially and commercially. Since the 1990s, subdivisions such as Winterville Crossing, Cedar Ridge, Irish Creek and many others surrounding the area have sprouted.
- Derek Cox (born 1986) – an American football cornerback for the New England Patriots of the National Football League
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Welcome to the Town of Winterville
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>