From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1140s 1150s 1160s – 1170s – 1180s 1190s 1200s|
|Years:||1169 1170 1171 – 1172 – 1173 1174 1175|
|1172 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1172 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||1925|
|English Regnal year||18 Hen. 2 – 19 Hen. 2|
|Chinese calendar||辛卯年 (Metal Rabbit)
3868 or 3808
— to —
壬辰年 (Water Dragon)
3869 or 3809
|- Vikram Samvat||1228–1229|
|- Shaka Samvat||1094–1095|
|- Kali Yuga||4273–4274|
|Japanese calendar||Jōan 2
|Minguo calendar||740 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1483/1484 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1714–1715|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1172.|
- April/May – Béla returns to Hungary where he is acclaimed king.
- Richard Lionheart becomes Duke of Aquitaine (later King Richard I of England).
- Henry II of England and Humbert III, Count of Savoy agree to wed their respective heirs, John of England and Alicia. The alliance never occurs because Henry's elder heir, Henry the Young King, becomes jealous over the castles which the elder Henry promises to the couple and stages a rebellion which will take the elder Henry two years to put down. By that point, Alicia has died.
- Alberto di Morra is sent by Pope Alexander III to the Council of Avranches, where Henry II of England is absolved of the sin of murder in the matter of the assassination of Thomas Becket.
- The Synod of Cashel ends the Celtic Christian system and brings them under Rome.
- A Muslim rebellion is quelled at Prades, this event marks the end of the pacification of the lands recently conquered by the Catalans.
- July – Baldwin I of Constantinople (d. 1205)
- date unknown
- March 4 – King Stephen III of Hungary (b. 1147)
- June 20 – William III, Count of Ponthieu (b. c. 1095)
- December 23 – Ugo Ventimiglia, cardinal
- date unknown
- King John by Warren. Published by the University of California Press in 1961. p. 29
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1/Identifiers at line 47: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).