From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1410s 1420s 1430s – 1440s – 1450s 1460s 1470s|
|Years:||1439 1440 1441 – 1442 – 1443 1444 1445|
|1442 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1442 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2195|
|English Regnal year||20 Hen. 6 – 21 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
4138 or 4078
— to —
壬戌年 (Water Dog)
4139 or 4079
|- Vikram Samvat||1498–1499|
|- Shaka Samvat||1364–1365|
|- Kali Yuga||4543–4544|
|Japanese calendar||Kakitsu 2
|Minguo calendar||470 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1984–1985|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1442.|
- March 18–25 – Battle of Hermannstadt: John Hunyadi defeats an army of the Ottoman Empire 80,000 strong, led by Mesid Bey of Vidin, near Sibiu in Transylvania.
- June 12 – Alfonso of Aragon is crowned as King of Naples.
- The community of Rauma, Finland is granted its town rights.
- The municipality of Juva, Finland is founded.
- Vlad II Dracul is temporarily replaced as ruler of Wallachia by his son Mircea.
- A fourth tower is added to Liverpool Castle.
- Jelena Balšić completes writing the Gorički zbornik manuscripts at her church of St. Mary on the island of Beška in the Serbian Despotate.
- April 28 – King Edward IV of England (d. 1483)
- July 3 – Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado of Japan (d. 1500)
- September 27 – John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk (d. 1491)
- date unknown
- probable – Anthony Woodville, 2nd Earl Rivers (d. 1483)
- August 29 – John VI, Duke of Brittany (b. 1389)
- October 18 – Infante João of Portugal (b. 1400)
- December 18 – Pierre Cauchon, French Catholic bishop (b. 1371)
- December 26 – Niccolò III d'Este, Marquess of Ferrara (b. 1383)
- date unknown