For more lighthearted chatter, head over to the Galactic jazz lounge.
|« Older discussions|
- 1 SaidIt.net
- 2 InfoGalactic in China
- 3 Image issues
- 4 Article "The Dark Side of Wikipedia" (2016-08-21)
- 5 Wikipedia Portals
- 6 Import Shortcut
- 7 "Wikipedia Shit"
- 8 DuckDuckGo Bang for InfoGalactic = "!infog"
- 9 Everipedia info
- 10 Beyond Censorship & Wikipedia Corruption
- 11 Gab's Dissenter & BitChute's Comment Freely
- 12 IMAGES !?!
- 13 Protect tab
- 14 Is this community still active?
- 15 BitChute embeds?
- 16 Auto url search, correction, forward
- 17 Requesting that user Auri be banned
I haven't finished the SaidIt.net much less barely started it. It's a Voat and Reddit-style alternative, a third uncensored way leaning more towards trutherism, anarchism, and anti-corruption - but all with a modicum of decency are welcome.
Update: It was a Froglich impostor. Someone thought it would be funny to make a new account to goof with me.
- (Interjection: I have never posted on Saidit, and am not ever likely to.-- 20:57, 5 November 2019 (UTC)
Several projects, actually. Because there's so little community here, despite having fantastic potential and a powerful wiki, SaidIt has a small vibrant community and the interactive voting forum that I expect will grow in time.
I started my Truther Top 20s project here on InfoGalactic some time ago, but only recently with SaidIt, has it been kickstarted into gear with a dedicated sub. (A "sub" is a subject/topic/issue/folder/category/thing on Reddit, etc. that you may subscribe to.) Read about it here and/or there. https://saidit.net/s/TrutherTop20s/
Every week I am allowed only one new sub to add. Today I started an InfoGalactic sub: https://saidit.net/s/InfoGalactic/ and only time will tell whether anyone will give a tic about IG.
Next week will likely be one of my two big projects: "Trutherism 101". If I can focus on it and git er done and ready.
I firmly believe authentic progressives, anarchists, Marxists, truthers, and alt-right folks have way more in common than most of us imagine and that 99.99% of all our problems deliberately stem from those 0.001% at "the top".
InfoGalactic in China
Turns out InfoGalactic and SaidIt are not blocked in China. https://saidit.net/s/SaidIt/comments/a08/saidit_is_not_currently_blocked_in_china/ ~ JasonCarswell (talk)
(Copied from my talk page:)
- You might get a kick out of the InfoGalactic banner I made for SaidIt... https://saidit.net/s/InfoGalactic/ It's a grayscale indexed PNG to save space so perhaps that's why it won't recognize it as a PNG to upload here. If anyone here cared or wanted it I could make it happen. ~ JasonCarswell (talk)
I'll mention that there are often more broken images than correct images on articles. Is there any group that is working on an image uploading bot, or some way to mass transfer public domain images from Wikipedia? I've fixed a few articles, but it is currently the biggest downside to Infogalactic --OmegaPaladin (talk) 04:11, 20 September 2019 (UTC)
Article "The Dark Side of Wikipedia" (2016-08-21)
Did Wikipedia update their portals templates and protocols? I think I broke something on InfoGalactic. I believe Portal:Free software redirects to Portal:Free and open-source software, I tried to import the latest, and now I think neither work. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 05:36, 26 January 2019 (UTC)
- I rolled it back, but I think there's still something to it. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 05:37, 26 January 2019 (UTC)
Any chance we could get an "Import pages" shortcut? Not directly on the articles - too easy. Place it on the article's history page - so folks may look at the article's history before they overwrite what may be someone's work. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 12:52, 26 January 2019 (UTC)
DuckDuckGo Bang for InfoGalactic = "!infog"
I just submitted it here: https://duckduckgo.com/bang
Everipedia, "also known as “Thug Wikipedia” to the insiders", a decentralized alternative.
- 2015-11-11: huffingtonpost.com - Q&A: Mahbod Moghadam -- Cofounder, Everipedia
- 2016-02-07: rebelhack.com - THUG Wikipedia! How the new startup Everipedia prepared for growth
- 2016-02-09: breitbart.com - Everipedia: The Wikipedia Competitor for the People
- 2017: Everipedia violating wikipedia copyright? on meta.wikimedia.org
- Everipedia on Wikipedia
Beyond Censorship & Wikipedia Corruption
"Wikipedia Exposed As Corrupt Tool of The Establishment" on 21stCenturyWire.com, 2018-10-26.
Gab's Dissenter & BitChute's Comment Freely
- Don't panic. As I understand, they are in the midst of replacing the ancient Wikimedia/MediaWiki engine with a better one. This is a massive undertaking. The end result may be as far-reaching as Infogalactic itself. Rectified (talk) 08:21, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
- Good to know thanks. BTW, do you know anything about "Social Galactic", another Vox Day creation? I've been here for a few years and had zero interest in VD. A few weeks ago, I forget how, I came across a DarkStream. I'd seen a few before only to see what the IG creator was about. I was not impressed then. But now I've been following on the regular, more out of interest and the occasional gem, and just to hear more different ideas. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 21:53, 21 April 2019 (UTC)
- You're welcome. Social Galactic is the Twitter of Infogalactic, currently under development. I believe there will be some cross-functionality between IG and SG, similar to what was planned with Gab, though with better control of content. No libel, no porn, etc. Rectified (talk) 22:28, 21 April 2019 (UTC)
- Good to know. If I had citations and a better understanding I would add it to the Vox Day article. IG and SG folks might like SaidIt.net. And related to building new alternatives you might like to check out SaidIt.net/s/DecentralizeAllThings/. I don't know what is planned with Gab, but I like the Dissenter thing. A WP gorilla (literally) wouldn't let me add "Comment Freely" to the BitChute article. Comment Freely sounds like it will be like Dissenter. I'm guessing they know about Mastodon too. I don't know how but SaidIt would like to get decentralized too. Any plans for IG? Ever look at Everipedia? ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 22:44, 21 April 2019 (UTC)
So there's a new "protect" tab. Anything you guys want to share about it? Is there an instruction manual? Who's it supposted to keep out or in? Is it for public or private content? I'd like to report new developments, big and small, on https://saidit.net/s/InfoGalactic where there are lots of progressives, non-partisans, truthers, anarchists, liberals, conservatives, alt-right and AnCap folks who may be interested in InfoGalactic, Darkstream, Vox Day, etc. Is there another community somewhere or is this dismal boardroom the extent of any so-called community? We've discussed whether it's worth reaching out to IG. Being the one with most experience, I actually suggested to go with WikiSpooks. I like IG and it's freedoms and utilities but I have no affection for a non-existent community and a closed off admin team who don't acknowledge good, bad, or ugly ideas and questions. I want to like IG and feel like I'm contributing to a greater good. Without feedback I feel like a parasite in an empty Colosseum but I know that's not true. I'm making all the efforts, but there's no community. It's not a party if you're dancing alone. FYI, SaidIt has been growing exponentially since Reddit is banning lots of folks. SaidIt is now in the top 30k websites in the USA and rising fast. Read about it at SaidIt. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 07:13, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
Is this community still active?
Hi there; I'm new here. The concept of a unbiased and factual online encyclopedia appealed more and more to me after seeing Wikipedia's blatant bias and a radical shift to the far left. However I was alarmed when I saw very little activity here. Is this community still active? ~ Rampant Writer
- I think we're more about quality than quantity at the moment, but that may improve further. Once again I propose doing what Wikipedia did, and creating a version of each article that any user can edit without registration; or maybe throwing open those articles that have not yet been edited; or allowing unregistered users to create new articles only; or to add paragraphs only. Assuming any of that is technically feasible of course. Jack-arcalon (talk) 18:23, 27 June 2019 (UTC)
- I do not in any way, shape, or form approve of any contributions from unregistered participants -- that simply throws open the door for algorithms and bot-farms, as well as more general tragedy of the commons and Dunning–Kruger effect problems. (Tip: since I do not expect this site to last forever, for every article I create, and there's an epic fuck-ton I'm proud of, I also archive both its main page and its edit page to archive.is and web.archive.org. --That way I can hit the ground running at some other place when the time comes.) -- 05:28, 28 June 2019 (UTC)
- Part of the problems with InfoGalactic, as I've expressed before, is that there's no evolution from Wikipedia. For example, we have no protocols for various viewpoints. We have no additional tabs for additional materials, such as opinion pieces, essays, etc. We haven't even got a different colour scheme to be distinct from WP. I hope IG will not die anytime soon. Vox Day's focus seems to be on the Darkstream vlog, the new Unauthorized.TV video broadcasting thing, publishing Milo's books, comics, etc. and another social media platform, SocialGalactic, I think. They seem to be doing a pretty good job of it, though IMO they'd do better to be opensource and decentralized rather than their empire fortress behind the paywalls, etc. Then again, asstrolls are everywhere. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 23:15, 28 June 2019 (UTC)
- "Unregistered" = SJW invasion. 'Nuf said. -- 17:07, 3 July 2019 (UTC)
- Sort of, from my limited observation, it's more like slow water drip than a churning river of activity. I'm rather hoping the Social Galactic tech comes soon which will help with coordinating and improving IG. The Chrome/Brave Extension, IG Transporter, has been very useful. KLuJe5TRWX (talk) 01:49, 30 October 2019 (UTC)
I would appreciate it if someone could either show me how to properly embed videos from BitChute, fix it, and/or configure InfoGalactic to be able to do so. I've only tried this one: https://infogalactic.com/info/Pedophocracy#Authority.27s_ineptitude.2C_complicity.2C_corruption.2C_and_rigged_.22justice.22_systems. Thanks in advance. ~ JasonCarswell (talk) 04:02, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- I attempted the embedvideo tag and BitChute isn't recognized. If you read the MediaWiki site the supported services section doesn't include BitChute. Just below the supported service you'll see a link to a Gitlab repository for the embedvideo extension. I suspect the IG admin would have to modify that extension to allow BitChute as a recognized embedvideo supported source.
Auto url search, correction, forward
I was attempting to find the equivalent for the list of Pennsylvania governors on Infogalactic from WP, it exists, however the URL contains one capital letter https://infogalactic.com/info/List_of_Governors_of_Pennsylvania compared to the similar WP URL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governors_of_Pennsylvania. Notice the G is upper case while the other is lower case.
Is there a method for having a likely or similar URL be forwarded to the matching Infogalactic page? Right now, if there is a URL that contains a camel case, IG will take the user to the page reading "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or create this page.". Thank you to anyone willing to provide guidance or answers to this problem.KLuJe5TRWX (talk) 13:32, 26 October 2019 (UTC)
Requesting that user Auri be banned
https://infogalactic.com/info/User:Auri Reason: vandalism (erroneous biography of fictional character not identified as such). See recent edit: Ace_Balthazar (Jack-arcalon (talk) 18:40, 8 November 2019 (UTC))
- Support immediate ban. All edits to date are vandalism. (I have redirected the fake Balthazar page to the article of a cartoon containing a character of that name.)-- 19:43, 8 November 2019 (UTC)