North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
|North Myrtle Beach|
|City of North Myrtle Beach|
Location of North Myrtle Beach in
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Mayor||Marilyn Hatley|
|• Total||13.5 sq mi (35.0 km2)|
|• Land||13.0 sq mi (33.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||1,018/sq mi (392.9/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||29582, 29597, 29598|
|GNIS feature ID||1251574|
North Myrtle Beach is a coastal resort city in Horry County, South Carolina, United States. It was created in 1968 from four existing municipalities north of Myrtle Beach, and serves as one of the primary tourist towns along the Grand Strand. As of the 2010 census, the population was 13,752, with the Myrtle Beach-North Myrtle Beach-Conway combined statistical area population of 329,449.
North Myrtle Beach is located at Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. (33.822216, -78.680974). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 13.5 square miles (35.0 km²), of which, 13.0 square miles (33.8 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.2 km²) of it (3.48%) is water.
The area is divided into four separate areas based on its former municipalities. These are Windy Hill, Crescent Beach, Ocean Drive, and Cherry Grove, a spit bordering North Carolina. Atlantic Beach, which lies inside of North Myrtle Beach, chose to remain its own town during the merger.
The current city government has pursued a policy of growth through annexation and in October 2008 annexed 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) that resulted in the city extending from the North Carolina state line to the city limits of Myrtle Beach.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,974 people, 5,406 households, and 3,130 families residing in the city. The population density was 841.6 people per square mile (324.9/km²). There were 18,091 housing units at an average density of 1,387.5 per square mile (535.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.50% White, 2.31% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.64% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 1.06% from other races, and 0.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.36% of the population.
There were 5,406 households out of which 15.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.5% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.1% were non-families. 33.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.03 and the average family size was 2.53.
In the city the population was spread out with 13.8% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 32.8% from 45 to 64, and 21.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females there were 99.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $38,787, and the median income for a family was $46,052. Males had a median income of $30,189 versus $22,119 for females. The per capita income for the city was $27,006. About 5.1% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.8% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Ocean Drive Elementary School (K-5)
- Riverside Elementary School^ (K-5)
- Waterway Elementary School^ (K-5)
- North Myrtle Beach Middle School^ (6-8)
- North Myrtle Beach High School^ (9-12)
^In neighboring Little River, South Carolina
North Myrtle Beach adheres to the Council-Manager form of government. The current mayor is Marilyn Hatley. The current council members are Terry White (Mayor pro tempore), J.O. Baldwin, Robert Cavanaugh, Nikki Fontana, Hank Thomas, and Fred Coyne. The current City Manager is Michael Mahaney.
On May 7, 1968, the SC Legislature passed legislation incorporating the four towns of Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive Beach, Crescent Beach and Windy Hill into one city – the City of North Myrtle Beach. The city's celebration of its 40th anniversary is recorded in article entitled 'North Myrtle Beach celebrates forty years of incorporation'.
- Alyssa Arce - Fashion model, and Playboy Playmate for July 2013.
- Lou Saban - Former football coach lived here until his death.
- Kelly Tilghman - Golf Channel broadcaster and PGA Tour's first female lead golf announcer.
- Vanna White - Television personality known for co-hosting Wheel of Fortune (US game show).
North Myrtle Beach is home to a single terminal, the Grand Strand Airport, serving primarily banner planes and small aircraft. The airfield is located in the heart of the city. The airport generates over $10.1 million in local economic output.
North Myrtle Beach is serviced by the Coast RTA, formerly Waccamaw RTA or Lymo.
Adjacent towns and communities
(In order of location)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Palisin, Steve (June 21, 2013). "North Myrtle Beach Native Graces Playboy Centerfold as Miss July". Myrtle Beach Online.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.|Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.]].|
- North Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Wildfires Spread - NYTimes.com
- North Myrtle Beach news and information
- North Myrtle Beach Times
S.C. Highway 22 to SC 90
S.C. Highway 9
U.S. Route 17
|Intracoastal Waterway||Cherry Grove Beach
Ocean Drive (North Myrtle Beach)
U.S. Route 17
|Atlantic Ocean||Atlantic Ocean|