Iufni (also Jewefni) was an Ancient Egyptian pharaoh of the 13th Dynasty during the Second Intermediate Period. According to the egyptologists Kim Ryholt and Darrell Baker he was the 7th king of the dynasty, while Jürgen von Beckerath and Detlef Franke see him as the 6th ruler. Iufni reigned from Memphis for a very short time c. 1788 BC or 1741 BC.
Iufni is only known from the Turin canon, a king list compiled around 500 years after Iufni's reign, during the early Ramesside period. According to Ryholt's latest reconstruction of the Turin canon, his name is given on column 7 row 9 of the document (this corresponds to column 6 row 9 in Alan H. Gardiner's and von Beckerath's reading of the canon).
Ryholt notes that Iufni's two predecessors Ameny Qemau and Hotepibre Qemau Siharnedjheritef as well as his successor Seankhibre Ameny Antef Amenemhet VI all bear filiative nomina--that is, names that connect them to their father. Since such nomina were used by pharaohs only when their fathers were also pharaohs and since Iufni reigned in their midst, Ryholt argues that Iufni must have been part of the family including Sekhemkare Amenmhat V, Ameny Qemau, Siharnedjheritef and Amenemhat VI. Given the brevity of Iufni's reign, Ryholt proposes that he may have been a brother of Siharnedjheritef or simply a grandson of Amenemhat V.
- Darrell D. Baker: The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs: Volume I - Predynastic to the Twentieth Dynasty 3300–1069 BC, Stacey International, ISBN 978-1-905299-37-9, 2008, p. 101
- Kim Ryholt: The Political Situation in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, Copenhagen 1927, ISBN 87-7289-421-0, S. 338
- Detlef Franke: Zur Chronologie des Mittleren Reiches. Teil II: Die sogenannte Zweite Zwischenzeit Altägyptens, in Orientalia 57 (1988)
- Jürgen von Beckerath: Handbuch der ägyptischen Königsnamen, Münchner ägyptologische Studien, Heft 49, Mainz : P. von Zabern, 1999, ISBN 3-8053-2591-6, available online see pp. 90-91
- Thomas Schneider: The Relative Chronology of the Middle Kingdom and the Hyksos Period (Dyns. 12–17), in: Erik Hornung, Rolf Krauss, David A. Warburton (ed.): Ancient Egyptian Chronology, Handbook of Oriental studies. Section One. The Near and Middle East. Vol 83, Brill, Leiden/Boston 2006, ISBN 978-90-04-11385-5, p. 168–196, available online.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Jürgen von Beckerath: Untersuchungen zur politischen Geschichte der zweiten Zwischenzeit in Ägypten, Glückstadt 1964, pp. 40, 230 (XIII 5)
Hotepibre Qemau Siharnedjheritef
|Pharaoh of Egypt
Seankhibre Ameny Antef Amenemhet VI