- War and the military
Military of Ancient Rome
- United Kingdom (British Army
- Royal Air Force
- Royal Navy)
- United States ( Army
- Marine Corps
- Air Force
- Coast Guard) … Military history of Africa
- the Ottoman Empire …… American Civil War
- American Revolutionary War
- Cold War
- Italian Wars
- Napoleonic Wars
- War of 1812
- World War I
- World War II …… Battleships
- Biological warfare
- Weapons of mass destruction …… NATO
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) French: Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord (OTAN), also called the (North) Atlantic Alliance, is a military alliance established by the signing of the North Atlantic Treaty on 4 April 1949. The NATO headquarters are in Brussels, Belgium, and the organization constitutes a system of collective defense whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.Template:/box-footer
- ...that the last Supreme Allied Commander Europe for NATO was Admiral James G. Stavridis? He was the first Navy officer to become USEUCOM's and SACEUR's combatant commander.
- ...that NATO is also called the Western Alliance, the North Atlantic Alliance, and the Atlantic Alliance?
- ...that the NATO phonetic alphabet is the most widely used phonetic alphabet?
- ...that NATO pilots flew more than 100,000 sorties during Operation Deny Flight?Template:/box-footer
- June 22: The Turkish government has agreed to allow NATO AWACS aircraft to operate from bases in Western Turkey providing better air traffic control and radar control over Afghanistan. Read more...
- June 18: During a farewell visit to Afghanistan, outgoing NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer announced that the alliance would send an extra 8,000 to 10,000 troops to the country to provide additional security during August elections. Read mores...
- June 14: A warship from the NATO naval force off Somalia freed 14 Indian sailors held hostage by pirates. Read more...
- The threats we face today are not unique to any of us – they are common across the globe, and none of our countries is immune to them. --Jaap de Hoop Scheffer
- Our unique partnership was born in common philosophies of freedom and democracy. It was forged during half a century's fight against tyranny. Now it stands as a beacon of democracy, toleration, plurality, openness and candor in a world menaced by extremism and instability. --Lord Robertson
- "Russia is a part of European culture. Therefore, it is with difficulty that I imagine NATO as an enemy.” --Vladimir Putin
- Expand: Fulda Gap • Warsaw Pact • Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe • Operation Deliberate Force
- Peer Review: Operation Deny FlightTemplate:/box-footer
United States Military
WikiProject Military History
WikiProject International Relations
- Het Nieuwsblad; saturday 19, sunday 20 and monday 21 july 2008