2000 in Malaysia
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
2000 in Malaysia is the 43rd anniversary of Malaysia's independence.
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Tuanku Siti Aishah
- Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
- Sultan of Johor: Sultan Iskandar
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Yahya Petra
- Raja of Perlis:
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Azlan Shah
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Sultan of Selangor: Tengku Idris Shah (Regent)
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Dr Hamdan Sheikh Tahir
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak:
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah: Tun Sakaran Dandai
- 1 January – Visit Selangor Year 2000 officially begins.
- 1 January – Y2K passes without serious, widespread computer failures, as many experts and businesses had feared.
- January – The KLSE Composite Index rises to 1,000 points.
- 20 February – Kota Kinabalu is granted city status.
- 16 April – Raja of Perlis, Tuanku Syed Putra, died in National Heart Institute, Kuala Lumpur, age of 79. On 17 April, his son Tengku Syed Sirajuddin is elected as a new Raja of Perlis.
- 23 April – 21 people are kidnapped by the Philippine terrorist group Abu Sayyaf at Sipadan Island, Sabah.
- May – Mahsuri's seventh generations, Wan Aishah Wan Nawawi visits to Kedah and Langkawi Island.
- June – The Teluk Kemang MP by-election takes place, Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate S Sonthinathan wins this by-election.
- 1 July – The Sauk arms heist occurs in Sauk, Perak. Many of Al-Mau'nah's gang members are arrested.
- 1 August – Proton Waja, the very first Malaysian-designed car, is launched.
- 26 September – The first Malaysian micro satellite Tiung SAT is launched from Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan.
- 10 October – Shah Alam is granted city status.
- November – Lunas state assemblyman, Dr Jose Fernandes is assassinated in Bukit Mertajam.
- December – Lunas DUN by-elections take place, Parti Keadilan Nasional candidate, Saifuddin Nasution Ismail wins this by-election.
- 5 December – Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak, Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce Muhammed Noor died at the age of 76. On 22 December, he was replaced by Tun Abang Muhammad Salahuddin as a new Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak.
- 22 December – The 2000 Federal Territory of Putrajaya Agreement is signed at Istana Negara between Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah with Tengku Idris Shah (Regent of Selangor).
National Day Parade
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Mohd Alaf - First Malaysian millennium baby was born on (1 January)
- Tun Sharifah Rodziah Syed Alwi Barakbah — Wife of the first Malaysian Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra and First Lady of Malaysia
- Tuanku Syed Putra of Perlis and 3rd Yang di-Pertuan Agong
- Dato' Abdullah Kia — State assemblyman for Sanggang, Pahang.
- S.R Anpalagan — Teluk Kemang's Member of Parliament
- Tun Mohd Suffian Hashim — Lord President of the Supreme Court of Malaysia
- Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce Mohammed Noor — Sarawak state Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor)