Danson Park is the name of a park located between Welling and Bexleyheath in the London Borough of Bexley, Southeast London, and the name of the electoral ward that covers the park and the surrounding area.
At 78 hectares, it is the largest public park in the London Borough of Bexley and one of the most important in the area. The landscape was designed and laid out by Nathaniel Richmond, assistant to Capability Brown from 1761 to 1763. At its centre is a picturesque 7.8 hectare lake to the south of Danson House. The Danson Stables public house is also located in the park. The Boathouse (function suite and restaurant) is near the lake.
Once a year, for two days the park plays host to the Danson Festival a large scale event which can attract up to 30,000 visitors to the park. The festival includes many stalls such as arts, crafts, charities and others. There is also a fun fair with various rides. The festival usually runs on the first weekend of July each year. The main focal point of the festival is the main stage on which various local artists perform, in addition to some big names. Past festivals have seen the likes of The AllStars with Jocelyn Brown, Alexander O'Neal, X-factor's Rowetta, and Peter Andre and Katie Price. The festival is run by Bexley Council.
A free 5k run, one of the nationwide parkrun events is organised every Saturday morning at 9.00 am using a 2 lap scenic course around Lake Danson.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Danson Park.|
- "The Boathouse Danson Park Function Rooms Kent Venue Hire Meeting Rooms Kent Weddings Kent Weddings Bexley". Dansonboathouse.com. Retrieved 2013-08-20.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Danson Park Bog Garden, Welling". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. 4 March 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Map of Danson Park Bog Garden, Welling". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 22 January 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (May 2012)
- Danson Park Photos
- The Friends of Danson Park
- Danson Festival Website
- Danson Park - Bexley London Borough Council
- Danson Park ward at Bexley.gov
- Danson Park ward map at Bexley.gov
- Developments since 1890
- Welling Website
- Restoring one of the miniature railway engines from the railway that ran in the park
- Bexley parkrun a free weekly timed 5k event
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.